Best lasting fruits

Hi. Just wondering what fruits last longer when cut up ahead. Thanks

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Pineapple and mango should last several days chopped if properly stored and refrigerated.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    Same with mandarines or oranges.

But unpeeled they will last for a few weeks in the fridge.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    Pears, apples, grapes...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    Frozen.

I buy a wide variety of fruits. Mangos, bananas, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, oranges, apples, pineapple, grapes, plums, lemons. I cut up the large ones and the only ones that I don't freeze are oranges and I only sometimes freeze apples since they last a long time unfrozen...and then I use the frozen pieces (or thawed for five minutes) in smoothies or on hot cereal or in yogurt.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Pears, apples, grapes...

I find apples brown within few hours once cut up.

Certainly whole apples last well, but OP did say cut up.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Peaches and kiwi also do reasonably well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Melon is pretty good cut up at least for the week
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Pears, apples, grapes...

Toss with a little lime juice to keep them from browning.
  • psychod787
    Pears, apples, grapes...

I add a little lemon juice...
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Frozen.

I buy a wide variety of fruits. Mangos, bananas, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, oranges, apples, pineapple, grapes, plums, lemons. I cut up the large ones and the only ones that I don't freeze are oranges and I only sometimes freeze apples since they last a long time unfrozen...and then I use the frozen pieces (or thawed for five minutes) in smoothies or on hot cereal or in yogurt.

This.
    But for water rich such as strawberries, texture will drastically change when defrosted.

I am just an ole Southern boy. I like to freeze muscadine grapes , when they are in season, and eat them like mini slushies!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    pineapples and melons.
  • psychod787
    Pears, apples, grapes...

I add a little lemon juice...
    Frozen.

This.
    But for water rich such as strawberries, texture will drastically change when defrosted.

I am just an ole Southern boy. I like to freeze muscadine grapes , when they are in season, and eat them like mini slushies!

Did you also notice they taste much sweeter after freezing? I always keep a box of grapes in my freezer and pop one in pretty much every time I walk by the fridge hehe.

Oh definitely sweeter..... oh I want my frozen muscadines!😩
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Pears, apples, grapes...

I get what the OP is asking but that's not how I eat apples - I eat a slice at a time. I put apples (and other produce) cut side down on lids.

o98qu85ro098.jpeg

Am curious to see if these Food Hugger thingys really help extend shelf life. Does seem to work well for cucumber.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQ3PQ5G/
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Good answers. Cantaloupe is one of my favorites.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    We eat a lot of cut-up fruit here. All of them are ok and last a few days. If I cut up apple, I just use the juice left on the chopping board from the orange I just cut up. The acidic juice stops them from browning.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2020
    Amazingly - I left dragonfruit in fridge cut up 2 days - was still nice! Also - pomegranate arils - might dry out a lil but still great! 😋