Is Expensive Workout Clothing Worth It?

Options
darreneatschicken
darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
You know... $100 tights from lululemon... $60 t-shirts from Nike... Is all this fitness attire really worth the extra price?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Depends for me. I have a few pairs of VS tights that I noticed were much higher quality than the ones I got from Kohl's or Target. I hardly ever pay full price for anything since there is always a coupon or promo code for things. So it winds up being the same price as a cheaper less quality pair of leggings.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Brand names like NIKE are a rip off. I use old CHEAP t-shirts and cut sleeves off. I do buy good quality weight lifting/biking gloves, padded bike shorts, and good sneakers. But even so, I always look for bargains and most bang for buck.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Depends.
    My lululemon yoga pants have outlasted 5 other cheap pairs. Still more then 5x cost however
    I like sweat wicking shirts but brand name doesn't matter
    Running sneakers Brooks Adrenaline is the only ones That don't hurt my feet or knees after 2 miles
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    No, not at those prices. Find a TJ Maxx or order off of Amazon. If you're looking for moisture wicking, can't get cheaper and better than these options. TJ Maxx has clothes that would cost 40 to 60 for like 10 or 15. Way cheaper than other places but you have to browse often.

Since I've moved to AZ, not many TJ Maxx around, so now I'm ordering off of Amazon. Some of their Amazon Basics are cheap and decent. I prefer TJ Maxx though over Amazon just cause.

I agree about Tjmaxx. If you haven't already, check out their website. You can shop Tjmaxx online and there is a good selection (of course there is shipping but they do run shipping specials sometimes). Also, all of their sister stores like Marshalls and Sierra Trading have good deals too.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I think you'll see the answers will be all over the place. For me personally my pair of Costco yoga pants are more comfortable and lasted longer than the ones from Lululemon. I just bought thermal pants for running on Amazon for approx. $25. They are better than the $100 Under Armour ones. I do, however, buy name brand shoes and socks. Again those are personal preference. I also bought the most amazing thermal running shirt from the running room...it was expensive....but OHHHH so worth it!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of everything. I love Lulu sweaters and tops but I don't prefer their pants. For me my favourite is Bench, it is pricey but it lasts. Victoria's Secret Sport stuff is good it seems to be durable (at least the stuff I got a few years ago), Old Navy is ok but I notice it's not as thick and doesn't last as long as more expensive brands.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I have my eyes on a pair of lulu leggings because I've heard they are awesome and last forever, plus the store will hem them or repair them for free. $100 USD for leggings that will theoretically last forever, yes I'd say that's worth it. I am working towards a smaller high quality wardrobe in general though. I'd rather have quality clothes that I love and that last, vs. a large wardrobe full of inexpensive clothes that don't last very long. Better for the environment too. (This will be a slow process because I'm not rich lol)

All my leggings so far as more inexpensive. most of them are fine, but I don't anticipate them lasting *forever*. I usually buy them from amazon or TJ Maxx. I just ordered a pair from a company called Pop Fit, advertised on Instagram. They are normally around $45, but I got them for $14 or so being a first time customer. We'll see how those are. I also would like to try out fabletics.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Well, i've heard good things about lulu but they don't come in my size soooo.......

I am a Fabletics VIP, and if you were to buy Fabletics at list price, it's way too expensive for me. But, a few times a year they do huge sales and that's when I buy. I get the sale price on top of the already discounted VIP price and honestly it comes out to being really affordable and my staple items from them are very high quality.

Good shoes are definitely worth the extra money. I probably won't ever wear anything other than Brooks.

TJ Maxx is a great place for discount brand names, like stated above. Even if it has a defect I don't mind.

I think the people who swear by a certain brand name and dress in it head to toe are more so doing it for a self-branding purpose, which might make you feel like Serena Williams but you aren't getting her endorsement money LOL
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have had horrible experience as far as lululemon and nike and VS lasting.
    my champion/c9 and old navy have withstood the test of time.
    my favorite was a pair of brooks from tjmaxx.
    now i get most of my stuff from tjmaxx.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well, i've heard good things about lulu but they don't come in my size soooo.......

I am a Fabletics VIP, and if you were to buy Fabletics at list price, it's way too expensive for me. But, a few times a year they do huge sales and that's when I buy. I get the sale price on top of the already discounted VIP price and honestly it comes out to being really affordable and my staple items from them are very high quality.

Good shoes are definitely worth the extra money. I probably won't ever wear anything other than Brooks.

TJ Maxx is a great place for discount brand names, like stated above. Even if it has a defect I don't mind.

I think the people who swear by a certain brand name and dress in it head to toe are more so doing it for a self-branding purpose, which might make you feel like Serena Williams but you aren't getting her endorsement money LOL

Glad to hear you like fabletics. Never tried them and I want to. Does the VIP membership cost money? Every time I try to do the 2 for $24 deal it never works. (Like, when I get to check out it doesn't ring it up correctly) so I gave up.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Glad to hear you like fabletics. Never tried them and I want to. Does the VIP membership cost money? Every time I try to do the 2 for $24 deal it never works. (Like, when I get to check out it doesn't ring it up correctly) so I gave up.

The 2 for $24 comes when you sign up to be a VIP. Once you sign up, I think you get a promo code. Basically, every month you get the option to buy an outfit for $50. If you want it, you buy it. If you don't, you go to the web site and choose "skip this month" and you don't get charged. So I skip every month (I have a reminder on my phone) and then buy when the sales hit! If you forget to skip and get charged the $50 without picking an outfit, it stores as credit for a future purchase so you don't lose any money.

If you can remember to skip each month, it's a great deal. Their power hold fabric is the best legging i've ever worn and i've been through a lot of workout clothes, from Nike to VS to Champion and beyond...it's just the best.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have some more expensive running gear that is worth every penny when it comes for comfort and durability. I wouldn't pay more for something like VS or Lululemon because my impression is that you're paying more for the brand name/style than the actual performance (based on the pieces I've owned). I've also had good luck with some less expensive stuff.

My less than helpful conclusion is that some expensive brands are worth it and others aren't and that it's possible to find good stuff in the less expensive price ranges as well.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I bought a lulu tank on sale and it has turned into my favorite cardio shirt. Having gone through all kinds of running tanks, from Nike to Target, the lulu is, by far, the best at wicking moisture and amazingly comfortable. However, I would never pay $70 for one, which is what it goes for full price. The $50 I paid for it while it was on sale was barely tolerable.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I shop at TJMaxx/Ross/Gabe’s for most of my workout attire. I bought some adaidas pants for something like $15 or $20, originally $85! The fabric is wonderfully silky soft! And a neat feature is that the pocket is actually lined with waterproof fabric so stuff doesn’t get sweaty... oh, and fun rainbow/multicolored reflective strips. I have found if I go too cheap the seams pull, rub, and cut into my legs and/or the fabric is weirdly textured, almost itchy. My Costco leggings are my favorites, and actually the fleece lined leggings I was gifted from American Eagle were really nice (sadly I have lost enough weight that they are going to have to be retired, I had to hold them up on my last run :D ). I don’t have a brand preference for shirts, i wear them around the house to test for seam discomfort before running in them. Marika was another davorite brand, but my MIL bought he a pair of capris for Christmas and while the fabric is really nice they don’t stay up nearly as well as my old pair, and the stitching on the seams popped the first time I pulled them on. Too fragile for my liking!

I have a hard time spending big bucks on clothes... I am “active” around the house and yard so I don’t want to have to baby a clothing item for fear of messing it up. If I snag a pair of $15 pants on the fence while I am feeding chickens I would be frustrated, but not nearly as much so as if they were significant money (and I don’t want to have to worry about changing every time I go to do something).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gear. I seek out last year's models sold at discount retailers or online warehouses to find bargains. I bought 5 pairs of UA running shorts 6 years ago and they're still holding up great with little wear and a ton of use. I found them in a local outlet and they were on sale for $10 each. I have a few UA wicking shirts & heat gear and found these much better by comparison.

Look for things like seam quality, material defects, and consumer ratings as quality shifts up and down over time.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think *good* workout clothing is absolutely worth it. Clothing that fits you well and is comfortable and keeps you warm/cool or whatever you need to be during your workout. That may be an exepsnive brand, that may be a cheap brand. But workout clothes are certainly worth spending the money on if a pricey brand works well for you. Think about how much money we spend in general on things that don't do anything to better ourselves. Health and fitness in general is something I am always happy to splurge on because it helps me improve. If I need to cut from other "fun" things to make the financials work, so be it.
  • Alinamariec
    Alinamariec Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i grew up with the saying "look good, feel good, do good" so if buying the expensive pair of something makes you feel good (keeps you cool or warm ) or gives you the confindence to do squats without your butt showing i say go for it. i always spend good money on leggings just because i dont want my butt showing and they usually last longer than a $10 dollar pair and for some reason the nike running shoe is the most comfortable for me but everything else i could care less about as long as i feel good wearing it.