im needing some suggestions

Options
last month i had a tendon reconstruction surgery on my right foot, ankle and leg. yesterday i actually got to get the cast off and i was put into a boot but for some reason (im not complaining lol) they said i dont need physical therapy. im looking for some good stretches or movements i can do with my ankle to help me get my strength back and will allow me to move it more and more as i go. any suggestions?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    last month i had a tendon reconstruction surgery on my right foot, ankle and leg. yesterday i actually got to get the cast off and i was put into a boot but for some reason (im not complaining lol) they said i dont need physical therapy. im looking for some good stretches or movements i can do with my ankle to help me get my strength back and will allow me to move it more and more as i go. any suggestions?

I'd probably be asking for a second opinion on that and see if you can get a referral. If not does your insurance cover physiotherapy if it's not referred? I go to my chiropractor/physio without a referral and get about half the cost back.

Having suffered from several foot injuries (and suffering from a weak ankle as a result of not resting/exercising properly during recovery) I'd definitely want to know a bit more about aftercare from my surgeon.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Did they at least give you some general instructions regarding wearing/taking off the boot and increases in motion? If not, call them and ask for clear direction.
  • Alinamariec
    Alinamariec Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i actually did get a second opinion and they both agreed that with how young and eager i was that i could just do it myself. as much as i hate physical therapy, im scared im not gonna do the right things and i wont have as much movement anymore. i have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks to see where things are and if im not moving in the right direction they said they will think about sending me but with them talking about another surgery if im still in pain, i really wanna stay on top of it.
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    he said my aftercare was just to move it and start walking asap
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Did they at least give you some general instructions regarding wearing/taking off the boot and increases in motion? If not, call them and ask for clear direction.

he said when im laying in bed or resting to take the boot off and just rotate the ankle so i got some bands to help with that
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    i actually did get a second opinion and they both agreed that with how young and eager i was that i could just do it myself. as much as i hate physical therapy, im scared im not gonna do the right things and i wont have as much movement anymore. i have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks to see where things are and if im not moving in the right direction they said they will think about sending me but with them talking about another surgery if im still in pain, i really wanna stay on top of it.

This might be a useful resource, but don't be scared to voice your worries.
    https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/recovery/foot-and-ankle-conditioning-program/
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    that actually has some good ideas! thank you! i try to research but i get so overwhelmed with all the do's and dont's
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Honestly, I know it’s a relief to not “need” PT, it might be worth a visit or two to get structured exercises to work with at home.

As for stretching/range of motion, when I had tendonitis in my Achilles’ tendon as a child I remember them having me write the alphabet with my toes and a current stretching video I do has the same thing (both ankle and full leg)...
  • Alinamariec
    Options
    Honestly, I know it’s a relief to not “need” PT, it might be worth a visit or two to get structured exercises to work with at home.

As for stretching/range of motion, when I had tendonitis in my Achilles’ tendon as a child I remember them having me write the alphabet with my toes.

That's what I've been looking for but most places need a referral and they just wont give me one as of yet
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

As for stretching/range of motion, when I had tendonitis in my Achilles’ tendon as a child I remember them having me write the alphabet with my toes.

That's what I've been looking for but most places need a referral and they just wont give me one as of yet

Maybe explain that because you are young and active, you don’t want to risk doing too much too soon and mess yourself up for life?

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I would be cautious about "not needing" physical therapy. Who decided this and based on what evidence? And if they say you don't need PT it would be their responsibility to provide you with further instructions, which should include strengthening and stretching exercises. Go back to the doctor and insist that they give you an reasonable explanation of why you don't need PT and a detailed recovery protocol. If you can't get that...get a second opinion. You want to heal properly.
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you to NOT push it. I had a foot surgery about 2 years ago. 8 weeks after, I was given no restrictions and sent off. I immediately started lifting, running and ice skating. Things started to hurt 3-4 months down the road, and an xray revealed that I had broken the large plate, and 5 of 6 surgical screws!

Long story short, I've waited 6 months after reconstruction 2.0 to do anything but walking. I have a lot of ground to recover, but breaking everything again would cost mr another year.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    he said my aftercare was just to move it and start walking asap
    puffbrat wrote: »

he said when im laying in bed or resting to take the boot off and just rotate the ankle so i got some bands to help with that

I was going to suggest both of these. Don't push it.