Low blood sugar day after hard workouts?

Options
Hello all

Is this a thing? I have noticed the day after a hard workout (usually HIIT or leg day) I feel symptoms of low blood sugar- light headed, jittery/anxiety, irritable, feel weak...is there something I can do nutritionally to prevent this feeling? Has anyone else dealt with similar sensations?
Thank you!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Are you taking rest/recovery days?

Spin classes are usually my most strenuous days and I keep that to a couple of times per week. I also have a recovery smoothie after spin class which helps to not feel like I just got hit by a truck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually have more salt, or a gatorade if I feel like that...for me that's usually electrolytes off, not sugar.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you taken blood glucose readings so you know if this is actually the issue?
  • kjo1713
    kjo1713 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do take rest days 1x per week but maybe I need to add a second in. Or maybe just eat more carbs on the days where I workout hard?

That’s a good thought about salt - hadn’t considered it before. I do know my blood sugar runs a little low based on those home meters but for instance when I checked this morning it was just barely out of range of “normal”.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you are not eating enough?
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If you have a meter is it safe to assume you have diabetes or pre diabetes? My wife has diabetes and we find that exercise especially HIIT dramatically affects this. She is actually a little higher blood sugar immediately after, but then lower several hours later and into the next day.

If yes, likely you need a med adjustment to accommodate the exercise
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kjo1713 wrote: »
    I do take rest days 1x per week but maybe I need to add a second in. Or maybe just eat more carbs on the days where I workout hard?

That’s a good thought about salt - hadn’t considered it before. I do know my blood sugar runs a little low based on those home meters but for instance when I checked this morning it was just barely out of range of “normal”.

You would probably be well served to take a couple recovery days weekly and stagger them. You would also likely be well served to work at variable intensities. Doing a lot of strenuous exercise isn't really an optimal way to train.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Assuming this is lack of calories/nutrition/rest/recovery or some combination of.

I use the Polar Flow tracker as a guideline on how hard I can train and for how long. Been using this for years with a consistent improvement over time.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you have a meter is it safe to assume you have diabetes or pre diabetes? My wife has diabetes and we find that exercise especially HIIT dramatically affects this. She is actually a little higher blood sugar immediately after, but then lower several hours later and into the next day.

If yes, likely you need a med adjustment to accommodate the exercise

I believe that's the pattern for most people, even non diabetics. Exercise tends to cause the liver to release glycogen stores for any active muscles to uptake. Exercised muscles increase their insulin sensitivity, and end up increasing insulin uptake.
    kjo1713 wrote: »
    Hello all
    Is this a thing? I have noticed the day after a hard workout (usually HIIT or leg day) I feel symptoms of low blood sugar- light headed, jittery/anxiety, irritable, feel weak...is there something I can do nutritionally to prevent this feeling? Has anyone else dealt with similar sensations?
    Thank you!
    Are you currently losing weight / in a calorie deficit? How steep a deficit and current weight will impact recovery.
  • kjo1713
    kjo1713 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay in about a 500 calorie deficit but I’m thinking maybe I need to drop that for a few days to see if I feel better. Seems to be a fine line between athletic performance and weight loss - maybe I should target more of a body recomp goal instead of weight loss per se