Muscle build after femur fracture

Hello
I'm new here!
I'm on the road to recovery from ED but along way to go....
I have severe osteoporosis and fell over 12 months ago and broke my femur.
Are there any gentle muscle building exercises I can do to build up the muscle behind my thigh?
I have a lot of lost muscle due to ED but it is very noticeable compared to other thigh.
I have carried out some exercises but it just won't go back to what it was.
Walking a lengthy distance causes pain....squats...etc a no no as hurts to put weight on.
Is the weight bearing pain due to muscle weakness and if I pursue will it ease?
Or is the pain saying 'Nope...stop'?
I have pins/plates etc.

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    What did your medical team overseeing you say about it?
  • yjc68
    yjc68 Posts: 8 Member
    They just said I can resume normal activity
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I would work closely with a PT and/or sports medicine expert on this one. Even if you have to pay out of pocket, some expert advice will really help.

Best wishes for a stunning recovery!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited January 2020
    yjc68 wrote: »
    Did you ask them about resuming exercise / resistance training? Did you ask any of them about pain when trying to do any loaded activity?
    I was thinking that with pins and plates, you might still be in recovery.
    You might want to ask for a referral out to a PT.
    If you're cleared for actual resistance, you might want to start with just the level of doing movements with a resistance band on your leg. Wrap it around both ankles and it by lifting the weak leg upward and stiff while lying down your back you'll be able to put a very light loading on it for the quads. You can also do the same on your stomach for the hamstrings. You could also do similar standing, or standing with the band on some secure fixture.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hello
    I'm new here!
    I'm on the road to recovery from ED but along way to go....
    I have severe osteoporosis and fell over 12 months ago and broke my femur.
    Are there any gentle muscle building exercises I can do to build up the muscle behind my thigh?
    I have a lot of lost muscle due to ED but it is very noticeable compared to other thigh.
    I have carried out some exercises but it just won't go back to what it was.
    Walking a lengthy distance causes pain....squats...etc a no no as hurts to put weight on.
    Is the weight bearing pain due to muscle weakness and if I pursue will it ease?
    Or is the pain saying 'Nope...stop'?
    I have pins/plates etc.

May I ask how old you are?

Regardless, I do think getting some physical therapy would be a great idea.
  • yjc68
  • yjc68
    Did you ask them about resuming exercise / resistance training? Did you ask any of them about pain when trying to do any loaded activity?
    I was thinking that with pins and plates, you might still be in recovery.
    You might want to ask for a referral out to a PT.
    If you're cleared for actual resistance, you might want to start with just the level of doing movements with a resistance band on your leg. Wrap it around both ankles and it by lifting the weak leg upward and stiff while lying down your back you'll be able to put a very light loading on it for the quads. You can also do the same on your stomach for the hamstrings. You could also do similar standing, or standing with the band on some secure fixture.

That’s great will definitely have a go at that!

• yjc68
    I’m just a little frightened of doing too much as have bad T scores on hips pelvis spine

Physio wouldn’t treat me for 6 weeks after fracture unless consultant gave go ahead
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    What about the stationary/recumbent bicycle, can you do that and do you have access to a gym?

However, if you can't have PT yet, it may be because you are still healing. Better wait until your doctor gives you the OK to see a physio and take it from there. You don't want to re-injure your femur. Good luck and wish you a complete recovery. Hang in there!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I’m just a little frightened of doing too much as have bad T scores on hips pelvis spine

Physio wouldn’t treat me for 6 weeks after fracture unless consultant gave go ahead

But you're now a year post-fracture if I understand you correctly?
  • yjc68

But you're now a year post-fracture if I understand you correctly?

Yes broke it 22nd December 2018...so just 13 months