Upset tummy after exercise

Options
Hi all,
So I have been hitting the gym for the last 10 days, I have breakfast before I go, with a healthy lunch and dinner after, but come 2100 I get a really upset stomach, can anyone advise why?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    What does "hitting the gym" mean? Are you doing a bunch of strenuous exercise? Are you taking rest days (it doesn't look like it)? What does "really upset stomach" mean?
  • moojuice2006
    moojuice2006 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am eating a normal breakfast either porridge or a smoothie, hour later I work out for around an hour including weights, with plenty of water to stay hydrated. I have lunch around 12 normally a salad or eggs and bacon. Dinner is then around around 1800 which is meat or fish, vegetable or salad.
    I am going to the gym 3 times a week
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Has your diet changed at all or is the only change that you've started working out in the morning?
  • moojuice2006
    Options
    The only change is starting exercise, I have lost 2 stone and felt ready to start back in the gym, I have a personal trainer who is excellent
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    "Exercising at a heavy rate causes blood flow to be taken away from the stomach, causing nausea. Another possible cause of exercise induced nausea is overhydration. Drinking too much water before, during, or after extreme exercise (such as a marathon) can cause nausea, diarrhea, confusion, and muscle tremors."

Maybe your exercising too long (for right now) and you can build back up to your normal time?
    Is it possible you are overhydrating?
  • moojuice2006
    Options
    Definitely not over hydrating I drink a sports bottle size over my workout never exceed more than 2 litres a day
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    K, this might be tmi, but are bowel movements the same? If im plugged up, i can feel it after any kind of bigger meal.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's the gym, but if you want to test it out, take a break from the gym and do everything else you normally do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did this start happening 10 days ago with your first workout? Did you work out every day? Was your tummy upset every day? Are you vomiting? Feeling gassy???
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    So I have been hitting the gym for the last 10 days, I have breakfast before I go, with a healthy lunch and dinner after, but come 2100 I get a really upset stomach, can anyone advise why?

You're exercising in the morning, but your stomach trouble occur at 2100 (I'm assuming this is a time, i.e., 9 p.m.)? I'm not saying it's impossible the two things are connected, but it seems like a stretch. Was there anything else you changed when you started exercising? Calorie reduction? More fiber? Different meal timing? More acidic foods? More caffeine?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    The only change is starting exercise, I have lost 2 stone and felt ready to start back in the gym, I have a personal trainer who is excellent

Does your workout include core work (crunches, sit-ups, leg lifts, or even whole body lifts)? Is it possible your upset tummy is abdominal DOMS?
  • moojuice2006
    Options
    I have changed nothing in my diet I have been on slimming world for 18 months and just felt ready for the gym, I feel great in myself so much more energy, sleeping better it’s just this upset stomach, I am doing sit ups and a small kettlebell routine but nothing over the top it literally takes 10 minutes to do. My boreal movements in the morning are totally normal for me and I have always been regular but the moments in the evening are very unusual and literally I am running to the toilet
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I think something medical may be going on and the gym is just a coincidence. As this has been going on for 10 days I would at least ring the doctor's surgery for advice if not make an appointment. At the very least consult a pharmacist.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I agree that something medical may be going on and the gym is just a coincidence. Call your doctor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try skipping all ab exercises and see if that helps.
  • moojuice2006
    Options
    Thank you all