How much is TOO much protein?

Options
I am loving the protein shakes right now! They are filling, tasty, get rid of my cravings for sweet stuff, and low calorie but I'm curious how much is too much protein? I've read all kinds of different things like taking your body weight (in pounds) and dividing by 2 to find the amount of protein per day, and calculating protein based on a percentage of your total caloric intake, etc... I've even read recommendations of eating up to 120g of protein per day. I also know that too much is hard on your kidneys and just generally bad for you.

I pretty consistently go over my protein "recommendation" from MFP, even on days I don't drink protein shakes. What are your thoughts on optimum protein consumption for weight loss?

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    A whole cow.
  • SweetStrawberry
    Options
    A whole cow.

LMFAO!!!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    A whole cow.
    That was awesome!!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mu nutritionist recommended that you should eat the amount of protein that you want to weigh. For example, if you want to weigh 120 pounds, you should eat 120 grams of protein.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I read in my book for physical fitness no more that 1.6 grams per kilogram.
    so I'm 77kg and 77*1.6= about 123g of protien. So thats the max amount of protein I can be eating per day.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this is too much......

musclearms.jpg
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

musclearms.jpg
    AZDAK you are awesome
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    A whole cow.

LOL - Sadly this is true! You would have to eat a HUGE amount of protein for it to be TOO much
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You should be thinking about how much protein to eat minimum instead of worrying about eating too much.
    As long as you have healthy kidneys, high protein diets are fine.

Worry about how you can turn that protein into muscle!
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    go to this site...it will give the info you seek.

www.lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I am loving the protein shakes right now! They are filling, tasty, get rid of my cravings for sweet stuff, and low calorie but I'm curious how much is too much protein? I've read all kinds of different things like taking your body weight (in pounds) and dividing by 2 to find the amount of protein per day, and calculating protein based on a percentage of your total caloric intake, etc... I've even read recommendations of eating up to 120g of protein per day. I also know that too much is hard on your kidneys and just generally bad for you.

I pretty consistently go over my protein "recommendation" from MFP, even on days I don't drink protein shakes. What are your thoughts on optimum protein consumption for weight loss?
    3 steaks, 2 chickens, and 1 fish. All sprinkled with bacon bits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

musclearms.jpg
    The guy has more oil than Exxon.