Exercise Tunes

Options
Do you exercise to music? I think I am going to put together a playlist. What's on your playlist? Does it vary, depending on what workout/exercise you are doing?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Yes I listen to music and it does vary depending on what I am doing. I have a playlist for a quick run, long run, weight lifting and yoga. To me music is very motivating. Use the music that you enjoy listening too. You'll quickly figure out what songs motivate you.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    During cardio I listen to music or watch tv or movies. I'm a classic rock fan, since I grew up with that music. When I weight train, heavier music gets me more energized.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad with music. I have the same playlist that I created almost 2 years ago. I add songs to it periodically but I never think about that when I hear a good song that I like. And whenever I'm like "Ok I'm going to update my workout playlist" I can never think of any good songs to add :D
  • cassieshae
    cassieshae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m in the process of creating playlists for different exercises. I have one for walking/cardio that I’m planning to use upbeat music that gets me to go faster to match the music.

I am lost for what music to use for weight lifting. I’m open to suggestions.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes music is a must for me!
    I use amazon music cuz my gym has decent WiFi. No playlists, just a lot of saved and favorite stations, artists, and albums on the app. I love it!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @cassieshae Weight Lifting music for me is heavy.... Like Five Finger Death Punch, Metallica, Iron Maiden. Just find what works for you!!
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have missed workouts because I’d get to the gym and realized I forgot my headphones and when I see people training in silence I automatically assume they dismember stuffed animals in their spare time. My gym playlist is on the heavier side (Slayer, Lamb of God, etc) and my conditioning playlist is mostly upbeat punk
  • Jes2kids
    Jes2kids Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of pop music that I would be embarrassed to admit that I liked outside of when I am exercising. I love podcasts for running, generally true crime or something funny.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In the weight room I listen to whatever they're playing over the speakers in the gym. In spin class it's obviously whatever the spin instructor is using. When I road or mountain bike, I don't listen to music as it is too dangerous...well, I guess I could on the mountain bike trails, but my ear buds would constantly be falling out with the terrain.

The only time I really listen to music is when I'm doing indoor cardio which is usually a pretty easy 15-20 min ride on a spin bike or stationary bike after lifting and I just use the "summer hits of the nineties" station on my Pandora app.
  • cassieshae
    cassieshae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @Joanna2012B I figured that would be the genre I should be looking at, now it’s the finding songs that work
  • gazpainter
    gazpainter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me I have dance music or dubstep type for cardio like running, cross trainer and rowing.

Funny enough for weights I feel you don't need fast paced music and I go normally for some good pop songs, Coldplay, Keane, to name a few... Accidently sing along to a few and get strange looks 😏
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Can I piggy-back off of this post to ask about what music service/program/software you all use or recommend?
    • iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, YouTube, etcetera?
    • Any particular portable music devices you all recommend?
      *I am a frugal gal (but, then again, who doesn't like to save money?? :blush: ), so anything that is inexpensive but also still decent quality is ideal!!*

I also would like to expand my music library - I am just having a difficult time finding playlists or artists that comprise "clean" music exclusively (i.e. no expletives at all (not even the "D"-word that appears in the Holy Bible - no suggestive messages in the songs either.). I am sorry to sound picky - I just feel a lot better spiritually when I am listening to uplifting music, and when I feel better spiritually, I am more likely to feel better physically.
      Thank you all so much. Again, I am sorry for typing so much - and also for bouncing of the Original Post. I hope I am not disrespecting any community guidelines here. I appreciate you All so much more than I can adequately express!!
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,479 Member
    Options
    I love apple music.you can search others public playlists and there are many compiled to choose from as well.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Can I piggy-back off of this post to ask about what music service/program/software you all use or recommend?
    • iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, YouTube, etcetera?
    • Any particular portable music devices you all recommend?
      *I am a frugal gal (but, then again, who doesn't like to save money?? :blush: ), so anything that is inexpensive but also still decent quality is ideal!!*

I also would like to expand my music library - I am just having a difficult time finding playlists or artists that comprise "clean" music exclusively (i.e. no expletives at all (not even the "D"-word that appears in the Holy Bible - no suggestive messages in the songs either.). I am sorry to sound picky - I just feel a lot better spiritually when I am listening to uplifting music, and when I feel better spiritually, I am more likely to feel better physically.
      Thank you all so much. Again, I am sorry for typing so much - and also for bouncing of the Original Post. I hope I am not disrespecting any community guidelines here. I appreciate you All so much more than I can adequately express!!

I use Amazon music, and you can choose a setting for clean songs only. I find this helpful since my kids look up songs on my phone. You would still have to screen the lyrics yourself, but it does show the lyrics if you want it to.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Either some pretty heavy rock when I am doing weights, or language learning audio tapes as I am learning to converse in another language.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cassieshae wrote: »
    I’m in the process of creating playlists for different exercises. I have one for walking/cardio that I’m planning to use upbeat music that gets me to go faster to match the music.

I am lost for what music to use for weight lifting. I’m open to suggestions.

This is a good site for matching walking/jogging speed to the pace of the music. You can find your walking, running or riding beats per minute.

https://jog.fm/