Can this slow weight loss? (TMI)

Options
Hi

Recently my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit, I've lost about half a pound over the last ten days. It is still a loss, so I'm happy about that. However, I've been constipated for about a week now - as in absolutely nothing :| Do you think this is what could have slowed the loss down? I've also started a new fitness class once a week, that I've been to twice now. I've logged/weighed everything, even chewing gum!

Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. It isn't a recurring issue, I'm usually fine, so I had just put it down to diet changes. I'll call into the pharmacy after work and speak to them about OTC laxatives. If that doesn't help I'll book in with my doctor!

Good plan!

What dietary changes? Maybe we can make suggestions to help. For example, if you went high protein, you might need more fiber and fat. If you went keto, I'm not sure but someone else might know.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb dieting, I had the same issue. I ended up taking fiber tablets to get regular again. My body was missing it's usual fruit and raisin bran. A stool softener along with some fiber may be better for you than an actual laxative.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible experience with constipation and it was extremely scary and uncomfortable. You should have a bowl movement every day. I take natural calm (magnesium supplement) everyday and this has helped me to be regular. Fiber and water also helps.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just to add...if you like black licorice this has always helped me. However, it is only a temporary fix.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible experience with constipation and it was extremely scary and uncomfortable. You should have a bowl movement every day. I take natural calm (magnesium supplement) everyday and this has helped me to be regular. Fiber and water also helps.

People vary quite a bit - some go several times a day, some 2-3 times a week. They're all normal. I've never been an every day girl!
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use a glycerin suppository twice a week - the side effects of meds cause constipation. It's gentle and works within minutes.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, when this happens to me, I of course google it and read up on medical websites that I trust. Everyone is different so while having a daily BM or two is nice, its not the norm for all - ask your doctor. A week is a long time esp if that is not your norm. I drink more water, drink some Metamucil in the am, love my fiber one a few times a week, and exercise - that usually gets things back to my normal. I will add OTC meds if that doesn't help and that usually always works. And yes, read up on how much weight is tied up in your waste - pretty amazing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Short of actual disease states, the things that most influence digestive throughput, IME, are getting enough

* Fiber (and if one targets a large increase, implementing it gradually);
    * Water or other hydration;
    * Dietary fats. (This one can be a common issue among people trying to cut calories, since fats are calorie dense . . . but we still need some. 0.3-0.45g per pound of healthy goal weight is a good range for many people).

Beyond that, exercise (especially exercise that moves the midsection) helps some people. Some people benefit from probiotic foods (live culture yogurt, kefir, kim chi, sauerkraut, miso, kombucha, etc.). An OTC magnesium supplement helps some people, but excess can cause diarrhea and other negative symptoms **.

An OTC gentle laxative can be fine to remedy an acute situation, but considering your overall dietary strategies is a good longer term avoidance solution, unless your doctor suggests routine medication.

(I'm speaking as someone formerly diagnosed with persistent IBS/C, who now experiences any symptoms very, very rarely; and those usually slight and attributable to suboptimal behavior.)

** Details at https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about the week without a 💩 than about the weight loss.

Take some Miralax until the constipation resolves, and maintain good bowel habits with a fiber supplement. There are powders and gummies, whichever you prefer. An occasional stool softener will help if it happens again, but don't wait a week before doing something about it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Jenpiddles wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about the week without a 💩 than about the weight loss.

Take some Miralax until the constipation resolves, and maintain good bowel habits with a fiber supplement. There are powders and gummies, whichever you prefer. An occasional stool softener will help if it happens again, but don't wait a week before doing something about it!

Fiber supplement can be the right answer, if fiber is low.

Doctor told me to take a fiber supplement. It made things much, much worse. I was already eating plenty of fiber . . . but not drinking nearly enough water.

In order to find the right solution, one needs to figure out what the problem is. Fiber is one possibility. There are several other fairly common ones.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Fibre supplements do not work unless your water intake is adequate.

• LMcG20
    LMcG20 Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. After a couple of days of taking some senna tablets, things are finally on the move so to speak! I think you made some good points though about needing to look at my diet and what's caused this in the first place.

I am definitely guilty of not drinking nowhere near enough water as I should so I will increase that. On the fiber side of things, I think I do eat enough. I have decreased fat intake probably by quite a bit since starting dieting, so I'll look into eating more healthy fats.

Thanks for all your help!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. After a couple of days of taking some senna tablets, things are finally on the move so to speak! I think you made some good points though about needing to look at my diet and what's caused this in the first place.

I am definitely guilty of not drinking nowhere near enough water as I should so I will increase that. On the fiber side of things, I think I do eat enough. I have decreased fat intake probably by quite a bit since starting dieting, so I'll look into eating more healthy fats.

Thanks for all your help!

Glad to hear this! To be clear, did your weight also start to move?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    Well let's start with the obvious. How many calories are you eating a day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Imagine the instantaneous weight loss you're going to have once the laxatives kick in. Make sure to weigh yourself before and after just so you know.