Time for my cut or continue? Pictures

Options
Ok here is me this morning at 118.8 pounds. Feeling fluffy but strong. I’ve gained 7 pounds in the last 5 months. I know a lot of it is fat and I’m ready to cut but man I tried for 1 week and I was starving!!! I am wondering if I should maintain and try and do a slow cut? I don’t want to lose any muscle. Cutting calories to 1700 had me cranky AF. haxhbwvqccmd.jpeg
bu874m3hveeb.jpeg

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in 5 months is pretty reasonable and I don't think most was fat unless you weren't lifting at all, but based on your physique I can see that isn't true. You still look lean to me, but if you were really lean to start I know it is easier to feel a bit more uncomfortable than you are used to with weight gain.

If you are planning to do a long cut I wouldn't just jump into it, spend some time at maintenance (first finding your new maintenance) to regulate your hunger as well. If it's a mini cut then ya that is pretty much how you are going to feel because it is quick and short and a bit painful! In - out - back to bulking.

Your decision to cut is really up to you, I personally don't think you have to but if you are too uncomfortable to keep bulking but still want to gain you can run a mini cut to shed a bit then resume gaining (provided you are not underweight or close), OR you can switch to recomp mode, stay there, then if you still want to gain resume your bulk when you are happy with your bodyfat.

In order not to lose muscle, don't cut too hard too fast and too long (again if you are doing a mini cut is is very short term), try to maintain your lifting and continue to progress in the gym, get adequate protein and make sure you take refeeds and diet breaks as needed.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh, and hey! YOU LOOK GREAT! I should have mentioned that in one of the OTHER two posts, but I was all focused on answering your question. :)

Agreed you do look awesome!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thirding the looking awesome!

If you're asking for opinions, I vote keep bulking. I'm doing my first bulk, and I agree it's a mind*kitten*. But I've put on about 4 pounds of muscle, and bf% has only gone up 1.5% so I'm riding this pony until I literally cannot stand it any more. The number on the scale is really messing with my head, so I focus on the muscle gained to try and distract myself.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie intake while you were bulking? It's going to suck if you're reducing your calories beyond about 15% below maintenance. That's just the way it is for most of us. You can try things like intermittent fasting, and playing with macros to get more protein and fat and fewer carbs, maybe increase fiber. All of those are strategies to try and increase satiety, but in the end if you're going below your maintenance calorie level by a significant percentage, and you don't have a lot of fat to begin with, your body is going to let you know it doesn't like what you're doing.

Anyway, you look great and don't look "fluffy" so you don't need to cut at all, but if you do at least you don't need to cut much. I think going to maintenance for a while first is a good idea.
  • NicoleJo456
    NicoleJo456 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake while bulking started at 2000 then gradually got to 2700 calories. I was doing hot yoga 2-3 days a week and lifting 5-6 times a week.
  • NicoleJo456
    Options
    Thirding the looking awesome!

If you're asking for opinions, I vote keep bulking. I'm doing my first bulk, and I agree it's a mind*kitten*. But I've put on about 4 pounds of muscle, and bf% has only gone up 1.5% so I'm riding this pony until I literally cannot stand it any more. The number on the scale is really messing with my head, so I focus on the muscle gained to try and distract myself.

Yes! It is such a mind game for me too. Thanks for the input! 💓
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake while bulking started at 2000 then gradually got to 2700 calories. I was doing hot yoga 2-3 days a week and lifting 5-6 times a week.

Wow! You reduced your calories by 63% practically overnight? And you kept that up for a week? Do you have a giant "S" on your shirt, as in "S" for Superwoman? :D I think it's pretty amazing you were able to do that for a week. I know I couldn't.

It'll be a lot easier if you gradually reduce your calories, maybe 15% a week. And keep your protein up to at least 0.8-1.0 grams per pound of body weight per day to help minimize muscle loss, in addition to keeping up your lifting program.

But if you can deal with the hunger you will cut fast at that rate. You might lose some lean mass (muscle) too, but not a lot if it's a quick cut.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I also think you look great and you could continue to bulk in my opinion. You still look pretty lean from the photos. I say that as someone who has no experience of bulking.

I do also think it’s important to have a healthy relationship with food and to be gentle on yourself. If bulking is mentally a challenge then you don’t have to do it. Depending on how many years of training experience you have under your belt and what your goals are, a long term recomp may be an appropriate option as an alternative to cut and bulk cycles.
  • i_fraser11
    i_fraser11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You look great! But I don’t see why you should be cutting tbh. You seem lean/thin rather I think adding might be a better goal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You look fab!! so no need to cut.
  • nkzard
    nkzard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No point cutting, you don't have enough muscle to lose a substantial amount of fat. If you cut you will just look smaller but not much leaner. That's just from my experience with beginners cutting and it depends what your long term goals are :)
  • NicoleJo456
    Options
    nkzard wrote: »
    No point cutting, you don't have enough muscle to lose a substantial amount of fat. If you cut you will just look smaller but not much leaner. That's just from my experience with beginners cutting and it depends what your long term goals are :)

I hear ya. I did do a cut for a week and am regretting it. I lost my Muscle definition fairly quickly it seemed. I’m switching gears to slow bulk now.