High protein - low carb food/recipes

Hi All - I’m looking for some easy protein foods/recipes

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Most protein sources are low carb: Beef, chicken, seafood, cheese, eggs, etc. Just try to avoid sugary sauces. Cooking things in spices or hot sauces will usually add flavor without adding carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited January 2020
    What percent protein and carbs are you shooting for? Anything under 45% carbs could be considered low carb, but people doing keto, for example, would shoot for 5% carbs. Keto-level carbs recipes would look very different from simply lowered carb recipes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Most obvious option would be meat (leaner for more protein per cal, but you need cals somewhere) + low cal veg (if you want an actual meal). You could add fat in cooking the veg or in a dressing, add nuts and/or olives and/or cheese to the salad to make it a more well-rounded meal that's got a good amount of protein + reasonable cals but still low carb.

That said, it's hard to know what someone means by high protein and low carb, and when someone asks that I tend to wonder if there's a reason meat isn't the obvious answer for them that they aren't mentioning (like wanting to eat less meat or being a vegetarian).
  • hcraig1980
    hcraig1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Meat is the obvious answer, but spinach is very high in protein. Having a spinach salad with boiled eggs, nuts, and some kind of fruit like strawberries, tangerines, or dried cranberries. Also plant based protein shakes are great for adding some protein and changing things up a bit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited January 2020
    hcraig1980 wrote: »
    Meat is the obvious answer, but spinach is very high in protein. Having a spinach salad with boiled eggs, nuts, and some kind of fruit like strawberries, tangerines, or dried cranberries. Also plant based protein shakes are great for adding some protein and changing things up a bit.

Spinach may have a protein bonus, but to get to the same amount of protein as found in 100 g of chicken thigh (my normal serving size), I'd have to eat almost two pounds of spinach (not my normal serving size.)

I also included my normal serving sizes of eggs and cottage cheese to see the protein and calories for them, and to include some non-meat options, in case the OP doesn't eat meat and failed to mention that.

6aae17425650bc1ae4f3f4ca913cc602.png

cbf466c71977d53db8721621376066db.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    For foods, check out the spreadsheet linked in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories - which inherently means they'll be relatively lower in one or the other (or both) of the other macros.

As far as dishes, I'll have to demur. I don't do recipes, and eat mostly weird vegetarian meals (that admittedly include plenty of veg protein ;) ).