Weights or cardio

Options
Ave lost about 27kg in a year a still have maybe a stone a would like to go (6-7kg) . Out running 3 times a week with occasional circuit body weight exercises . Would any say dropping the cardio for weights would speed up the process or not . I see most people's programmes who are lean there hardly any cardio all weights programmes ? Thanks G

Replies

• MikeNASMGFI
    MikeNASMGFI Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Weights in my opinion are an essential part of losing and maintaining weight. Muscle is 15% more dense than fat and should be incorporated regardless of your goals. That said, what are your goals? Lose weight, body recomposes, lean bulk, etc? How’s your nutrition (this’ll be number 1 before anything)? I’m not sure what you’ve done from a lifting standpoint but some some things to think about. Remember you can also use weights as a conditioning tool and still get the effects of aerobic exercise.
  • MikeNASMGFI
    MikeNASMGFI Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m not saying you should ditch the steady state cardio, but adding additional weight training in your workouts to me is smart.
  • FatblasterT
    FatblasterT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Both
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Weights or cardio" - no, both. Why circuit training and not strength training BTW?

"Would any say dropping the cardio for weights would speed up the process or not." No it would make it slower if you swap a high calorie exercise for a lower calorie exercise - that's assuming you aren't eating back your exercise calories in which case it's completely neutral. And you really should be eating back exercise calories or you are going to have a problem when you want to maintain at goal weight.

"I see most people's programmes who are lean there hardly any cardio all weights programmes " I doubt you see most people's programmes, you might see gym goer's programmes but don't you see lean cyclists and runners for example? It's predominately eating the right amount that results in being lean - not the style of exercise.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    You should do both - they have different benefits.

With only 14 pounds left to lose, it's going to be slow.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Cal counting 4 wtloss.
    Lifting 4 strength.
    Cardio 4 heart/respiratory health.
  • Finch000
    Finch000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you can only choose one weight training is far better for weight loss. You also get the added benefit of an increased metabolic rate with more muscle.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    both. I do a lot of cardio, technically, but it is to train- not lose weight per se. I lift to support running.

Find what you love and you won’t need to choose.

Just move. Move more than you don’t move.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Finch000 wrote: »
    If you can only choose one weight training is far better for weight loss. You also get the added benefit of an increased metabolic rate with more muscle.

Weight training isn't "better for weight loss." But it does increase your chances of hanging onto muscle while you are losing weight.

The increased metabolic rate for muscle mass is greatly exagerated. But, your best bet for increasing muscle is eating at a surplus, so not while losing weight.