After the gym

I just worked out and am going to a wine tasting at 7.. don’t know if I should still have my protein shake or skip it to save calories

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    ...you could maybe spit the wine out. Most tastings provide recepticals for this... or is “wine tasting” more of a dinner with friends and lots of wine being actually drank? A typical protein shake if mixed with water is about 150 calories and 25g of protein.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    I just worked out and am going to a wine tasting at 7.. don’t know if I should still have my protein shake or skip it to save calories

Do you want to get the most buzz from the wine? Then skip the shake. Protein will inhibit the uptake of alcohol.

Primary concern is the muscle protein synthesis and gains? Then the last time you ate a protein rich meal will be a factor. Ideally, there should be a 25g+ protein intake of some kind within 2 hours before or after your workout.
    By no protein post, you still have a bit of a loss in that a workout tends to reset the muscle protein synthesis pathways so that protein can cause a rise in MPS again, which you're not initiating without some protein post.

Overall, burning off 100-200 calories from a protein shake is next to nothing in terms of calorie deficit that could even be made up on a different day, really. You can't really get back the timing effects a workout and protein sets up.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Unless you have a wine tasting after every workout session, it's one day so do whatever you feel like. Mind you if they don't offer food there I would probably eat something before you go so you don't end up forgetting what you tasted!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    And, for the time wine tasting is more than tasting, and more than a little wine:
    https://mennohenselmans.com/science-binge-drinking/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    ...you could maybe spit the wine out. Most tastings provide recepticals for this... or is “wine tasting” more of a dinner with friends and lots of wine being actually drank? A typical protein shake if mixed with water is about 150 calories and 25g of protein.

Noooooooo

:p
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Noooooooo

:p

;)

lol - just an idea.