Can't create new recipe because of screwed database

Options
7sorok
7sorok Posts: 112 Member
For some time I can't create a recipe because food is not in the database and I can't add a new one and/or correct the existing one. And, even if I do create the new food or correct the existing one, they don't appear in the database. Is there a solution?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    When you create a new food, you have to click "share with other MFP users" if you want it to be in the database and not just in your "my foods."
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    When you create a new food, you have to click "share with other MFP users" if you want it to be in the database and not just in your "my foods."

I believe this option is on the website but not the app.
  • 7sorok
    edited January 2020
    Options
    There is no data in the database for this product and therefore I can't add it to my recipe. I had tried to create a new entry and also to correct the existing one, but it is not showing in the database. To use something else will not do as I would cheat myself of either calories or micros. Any other suggestions? Thanks though even it did not work as suggested.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    7sorok wrote: »
    There is no data in the database for this product and therefore I can't add it to my recipe. I had tried to create a new entry and also to correct the existing one, but it is not showing in the database. To use something else will not do as I would cheat myself of either calories or micros. Any other suggestions? Thanks though even it did not work as suggested.

Yeah, I've been having this same problem recently - editing, saving, and then not being able to retrieve it and it not showing up in My Foods >.<

You could contact Support or see if there are any workarounds in the MFP Suggestions/Feedback forum.

When I went to get the link for that I see the top post is right on point: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10729249/my-foods-my-meals-not-saving/p1

@cmriverside started a thread about it LAST February and it was not working again today. (I didn't read the middle two pages.)

It's supposedly a Known Issue: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625451-Known-Issues-Website

I feel your pain cmriverside!
    Still nothing from Tech about this.

How can we use a calorie counting website without being able to enter our FOODS???
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I found it in the database with the same macros as your picture. I did not check for micros.
  • 7sorok
    Options
    I found it in the database with the same macros as your picture. I did not check for micros.

I will greatly appreciate you'll send me the exact description and nutritional values of your find. Thanks beforehand.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It's been acting very weird lately... I also added a food on my laptop, but when I wanted to add it to my food diary it wasn't showing up at all. I tried adding it again, but it said it already existed. Looked for it through the app, and there it was on my list of My Foods. So either it works on the app, but not on the laptop and vice versa.
  • 7sorok
    Options
    It's been acting very weird lately... I also added a food on my laptop, but when I wanted to add it to my food diary it wasn't showing up at all. I tried adding it again, but it said it already existed. Looked for it through the app, and there it was on my list of My Foods. So either it works on the app, but not on the laptop and vice versa.

Thanks for this information. You're right: it became a pain to create a recipe. Sometimes I give up because it takes too much time to find the correct entry.
  • 7sorok
    Options

Thank again for your response. You don't have to send me the correct entry as I found it and it's my entry that I created 2 days ago
  • kshama2001
    Options

Thank again for your response. You don't have to send me the correct entry as I found it and it's my entry that I created 2 days ago

Lucky you! The entry I created Friday still hasn't shown up in My Foods :(
  • 7sorok
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yeah, I've been having this same problem recently - editing, saving, and then not being able to retrieve it and it not showing up in My Foods >.<

You could contact Support or see if there are any workarounds in the MFP Suggestions/Feedback forum.

When I went to get the link for that I see the top post is right on point: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10729249/my-foods-my-meals-not-saving/p1

@cmriverside started a thread about it LAST February and it was not working again today. (I didn't read the middle two pages.)

It's supposedly a Known Issue: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625451-Known-Issues-Website

How can we use a calorie counting website without being able to enter our FOODS???

A lot of people have this problem lately and it seems that it appears periodically. i wish the management would check this situation more often because it makes this site not very usable for tracking
  • Lasmartchika
    Options

Thanks for this information. You're right: it became a pain to create a recipe. Sometimes I give up because it takes too much time to find the correct entry.

It is becoming a pain to make a recipe. Another problem I had one day last week while I was making a recipe, I messed up with one ingredient, clicked the little red mark to delete it... and all the ingredients got deleted. I was almost done with my recipe and I had to do it all over again. Made another mistake, clicked the red mark and all of it got deleted all over again. I gave up and didn't create the recipe that day. Tried again a couple days later and it worked.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,973 Member
    Options

Thank you!!

It is painful. **waahh**

Luckily I have most of my favorites already saved. This is going to really be hard for newer folks.
  • kshama2001
    Options

It is becoming a pain to make a recipe. Another problem I had one day last week while I was making a recipe, I messed up with one ingredient, clicked the little red mark to delete it... and all the ingredients got deleted. I was almost done with my recipe and I had to do it all over again. Made another mistake, clicked the red mark and all of it got deleted all over again. I gave up and didn't create the recipe that day. Tried again a couple days later and it worked.

Huh, with me nothing happens when I click the red mark to delete. (I'm using Opera.) I wait to delete until I've saved the recipe once, and then edit through the other recipe builder.
  • 7sorok
    Options
    There's something goes on behind the scene, don't you think so? The diary will be saved for 24 mo. only, this problem with the recipes is not being attended by IT. What it might be? Suspicious, very suspicious...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,973 Member
    Options
    There's something goes on behind the scene, don't you think so? The diary will be saved for 24 mo. only, this problem with the recipes is not being attended by IT. What it might be? Suspicious, very suspicious...

What are you inferring?

Hanlon's Razor is the most likely explanation.

Deleting hundreds of thousands of past diary pages makes sense, storage-wise. ::shrug::
  • Lasmartchika
    Options

Huh, with me nothing happens when I click the red mark to delete. (I'm using Opera.) I wait to delete until I've saved the recipe once, and then edit through the other recipe builder.

That has also happened to me and I ended up doing the same thing as you, deleting until after. Or I click on Save once I finish editing the recipe and nothing happens!! So I either I just give up for the day (and try another day) or try and see if it works on the app. Most times that works for me, but I don't really like using the app... I prefer the layout on the computer instead.
  • 7sorok
    Options

What are you inferring?

Hanlon's Razor is the most likely explanation.

Deleting hundreds of thousands of past diary pages makes sense, storage-wise. ::shrug::

I don't see what Henlon Razor has to do with me implying that MF is, maybe, getting short of storage
  • 7sorok
    Options

I do not add the foods that I create for "share with other MFP users" because of the regional differences in the labels. For example, in one region carton of 1% milk might say 100 cal and in another region - 110 cal and such. Therefore, you just polluting the general database with the info that is not usable and that's why there are so many entrances into the database that are nor relevant to me or somebody else who is counting macros and micros. Those many entries are correct for that particular region and that particular product but might be wrong for the same product in my region of the same company and name. I know this for a fact as I once called a cereal company and was explained the difference in the labels.