How To Guess Calories Burnt?

Options
Hi!
I'm very weak physically and very uncoordinated. I've been following some Kpop Zumba on YouTube they say you burn 400-500 Calories in 15 mins but I, of course, can't do what they are doing and end up just kinda flopping around for 3 mins until my lungs are on fire and I can no longer beath comfortably.

So if I'm doing 3 mins of high intense flopping around 5 times a day how can I guess how many, if any Calories I'm burning?

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    400-500 calories in 15 minutes seems unrealistically high.

There is a zumba entry in the exercise database that you could try using. The aerobics entries might also be an option, because you can choose intensity levels.

Either way, they'll just give you an estimate, but if you keep track of your calories, in and out, for a few weeks you'll start to get a more accurate idea of how much you as an individual are burning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    400-500 calories in 15 minutes seems unrealistically high.

There is a zumba entry in the exercise database that you could try using. The aerobics entries might also be an option, because you can choose intensity levels.

Either way, they'll just give you an estimate, but if you keep track of your calories, in and out, for a few weeks you'll start to get a more accurate idea of how much you as an individual are burning.

Or if the Zumba entry in the MFP database feels high, try "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort" or "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort."
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There's no way anybody is burning 500 kCal in 15 minutes.

I'd love to burn 500kcal in 15 minutes! Then I wouldn't feel so bad when I have the energy to only exercise for 30 minutes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm very weak physically and very uncoordinated. I've been following some Kpop Zumba on YouTube they say you burn 400-500 Calories in 15 mins but I, of course, can't do what they are doing and end up just kinda flopping around for 3 mins until my lungs are on fire and I can no longer beath comfortably.

So if I'm doing 3 mins of high intense flopping around 5 times a day how can I guess how many, if any Calories I'm burning?

Let's assume they meant 400 calories/hour ...

If you're being active at that level for 15 minutes a day, you might be burning 100 calories.

Use that number and see if it works for your weight loss. If it doesn't seem to be working, change something.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Well that shows how ridiculous YouTube can be as a source of information! :smiley:

10 cals a minute is going to require a decent level of fitness and it doesn't sound like that would be attainable for you. Maybe halve that as you describe yourself as "very weak physically"?

5 x 15mins = 75cals.

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly fit now and I use my spin bike for most my cardio...I may burn 10-15 calories a min at a vigorous pace. I weigh 187 lbs.....I WISH I could burn 500 calories in 15 min hahaha!
  • Amber_Dawnn
    Amber_Dawnn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Well that shows how ridiculous YouTube can be as a source of information! :smiley:

10 cals a minute is going to require a decent level of fitness and it doesn't sound like that would be attainable for you. Maybe halve that as you describe yourself as "very weak physically"?

5 x 15mins = 75cals.

Ha I looked again around onYouTube and it seems all the Korean Zumbas say 500 in 15 mins but the non-Korean ones say 500 in 30-45 mins.

& when I say very weak physically I mean I've spent 90% of my time in a chair or in a bed over the last 12 months standing and not moving is tiring.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

5 x 15mins = 75cals.

Ha I looked again around onYouTube and it seems all the Korean Zumbas say 500 in 15 mins but the non-Korean ones say 500 in 30-45 mins.

& when I say very weak physically I mean I've spent 90% of my time in a chair or in a bed over the last 12 months standing and not moving is tiring.

For context of what's actually possible in the real world as opposed to internet silliness.....

Take one of the fittest people on this earth - an elite cyclist called Bradley Wiggins.
    Set him the task of breaking the one hour time trial world record - yep faster than anyone in history has ever gone.
    His power was estimated at an average 450 watts - which is 1,620 net calories for that hour.

Compare that to an average Joe or Jane (if Joe is fit he might have half the capability of Wiggins, a fit Jane rather less than that) doing Zumba (as opposed to pushing to the absolute limit) and you should be able to see how ludicrous those estimate are.

Your current weakness means your capacity for burning calories is very low. Best of luck on your recovery. :flowerforyou:

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

5 x 15mins = 75cals.

In that case you might want to log yourself down into the 50-75 calorie range.

A world record level marathon runner won't burn 2000 an hour, and I'm not sure if any pro athlete can in any sport really. The second estimate of 500 in a half hour to 45 minutes is still tough, even for a fit person that is in the 180-200 pound range.

Keep in mind that for the majority of exercises (those when you are supporting your own weight) that the calorie burn is greatly influenced by your weight. If you did that Zumba at the same speed, intensity, etc you would burn more calories if you were larger, and less when you are smaller. Add in the fact that there are a large variety of movements, some moving more of your mass, some moving less, and the whole calculation gets tough.
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For context of what's actually possible in the real world as opposed to internet silliness.....

Take one of the fittest people on this earth - an elite cyclist called Bradley Wiggins.
    Set him the task of breaking the one hour time trial world record - yep faster than anyone in history has ever gone.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, this post is purely for internet pedantry points. The current UCI unified hour record holder is Victor Campenaerts (55.089km) but the UCI "best human effort" still Chris Boardman's 1996 effort of 56.375km. It changed hands between Graeme Obree and Boardman several times in the 1990s, and each time the UCI changed the rules because they hated Obree. Eventually the UCI erased all the hour records between 1972 and 1996 and called them 'best human effort', resetting the record to Eddy Merckx's 49.431 km.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

5 x 15mins = 75cals.

I would consider myself to have well above average fitness and if I am really going for it and the instructor is playing the highest intensity tracks, I may be able to burn 450 Calories in a 45min class. But I am totally wiped out by the end of that class, out of breath for 90% of it and she just goes straight through the playlist without breaks (plus I know all the moves and so able to put more in as I dont need to follow along). More usual for me is around 350-400 Calories for the same class. (And as a comparison I also burn around 10 Calories a minute when running where my hr averages around 140-150)

Personally I would say that if you dont have that level of fitness you are more likely to be burning less than 100 Calories in 15 minutes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

5 x 15mins = 75cals.

His power was estimated at an average 450 watts - which is 1,620 net calories for that hour.

Compare that to an average Joe or Jane (if Joe is fit he might have half the capability of Wiggins, a fit Jane rather less than that) doing Zumba (as opposed to pushing to the absolute limit) and you should be able to see how ludicrous those estimate are.

Your current weakness means your capacity for burning calories is very low. Best of luck on your recovery. :flowerforyou:

I've been training (riding hard with the goal of improving my speed and bike fitness) for 12+ years. I can average about 270 watts for an hour, which is 972 kCal. If I'm being chased by zombies. After that hour, I'll "limp" home and recover for 3 or 4 days.

Adding for context.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I am not sure your calories.

I just wanted to say that it is great that you are getting up and getting more active. If this is improvement over bed bound this is wonderful and you should be super proud of yourself. Congratulations!!!