Certain moments and imagies in their head?

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
Does anyone else have certain moments and imagies in their head from when they were heavy that were either embarrassing or painful?
After losing 73 pounds or so, having just 12 more to go I think back to certain embarrassing or painful moments I had as a heavy person.
I think back to the jeans I used to wear, something that simple, those huge jeans I used to wear and that some is embarrassing.
I have a very specific moment that I think back to. It was probably 9 years ago now but we were boarding a cruise ship and I decided to walk up the stairs rather than wait for an elevator because boarding day is chaotic. Now I was gassed after 2 or 3 flights because of my weight, I mean gassed, huffing and puffing all because of my weight. I paused on a landing and there was this huge mirror as there are in cruise ships. The image I have was utter disgust, utter embarrassment. It's the worst image in my mind of being. There are many, many other moments of embarrassment but that was a particular bad one.
Looking back still embarrassing but happy at the outcome some years later. Now down 73 pounds I guess that was motivation even though it took a few years to kick in. Anyone else have similar moments or stories?

Replies

• OAS5
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day. My entire obese/overweight life was filled with embarrassment/shame/fear and UGH and WOE, almost daily. This would cause/help me to be "meaner than a junkyard dog" as well. Added to these feeling of woe, is that I was the ONLY obese/overweight/fat person in my entire family...so as we would go out to eat and just hang out, I would ALWAYS feel so....ummmmmm, "out of place and "embarrassed". Also, when I was obese and overweight it would take HOURS for me to get ready, because everything I'd wear looked like a "tent" on me or just ill-fitting and looking. It was terrible and I am sooooooo THRILLED/GRATEFUL and THANKFUL to be slim and trim now, like I was when I was "young and skinny" and before I started having children (and a LOT of them). Wow....being "fat" was not only unhealthy, but FOR ME, unattractive (ALWAYS looking and feeling all "bloated and swollen" and eye-rollingly UGHish) and being obese/overweight was a huge source of misery and YUCK (inside and outside to/for me).

I understand completely. I am also VERY grateful to not be what I was. The thoughts and memories I hope and think will keep ,e from being that again.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I kind of remember those times fondly because it was during the best years of my life, so most of my bad memories are tainted with happy memories.

I remember how once, I went with my ex to a new restaurant we heard a lot about. The chairs had armrests and I didn't fit, so we had to wait for them to bring me a wider plastic chair from the staff room. It was kind of embarrassing but funny at the same time. We joked about it, and it made for a fun evening.

I also remember how I went out with my family, I don't remember what we were planning to do, but the building had many stairs and the lift was out of service. Because I couldn't climb that many stairs, my family decided to go somewhere else and that we ended up watching a movie at a nearby cinema. It's my most favorite cinema to this day. Great atmosphere, great snacks, comfortable seats, and not too crowded. I was a little bit disappointed at first that I ruined our plans, but we had fun and everyone was happy in the end.
  • OAS5
    Options
    I kind of remember those times fondly because it was during the best years of my life, so most of my bad memories are tainted with happy memories.

I remember how once, I went with my ex to a new restaurant we heard a lot about. The chairs had armrests and I didn't fit, so we had to wait for them to bring me a wider plastic chair from the staff room. It was kind of embarrassing but funny at the same time. We joked about it, and it made for a fun evening.

I also remember how I went out with my family, I don't remember what we were planning to do, but the building had many stairs and the lift was out of service. Because I couldn't climb that many stairs, my family decided to go somewhere else and that we ended up watching a movie at a nearby cinema. It's my most favorite cinema to this day. Great atmosphere, great snacks, comfortable seats, and not too crowded. I was a little bit disappointed at first that I ruined our plans, but we had fun and everyone was happy in the end.

Have you now lose the weight?
  • OAS5
    Options
    OAS5 wrote: »

Have you now lose the weight?

Yes. I have lost 140 lbs (took me a few years) but I still see myself fat in my mind's eye whenever I remember myself or think about myself.

Awesome that you lost the weight and that is a lot of weight, you should be proud of yourself because that is no easy task.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I remember having to check the weight limit on things like kids' swings, etc. because many were max 200lbs. I was slightly over that and it hurt to know I couldn't play with my kids however, whenever I wanted.

Also taking public transportation at my upper weights and feeling like my body was encroaching on the space of others, or at very least FULLY filling my own designated spot so that I felt like I couldn't/shouldn't move.
  • OAS5
    Options
    It's funny now that I have lost most of the weight I when I look back at basically everyone I met or saw at that time as embarrassment. Everyone I basically saw at any time, saw me and most likely judged me as "a fat guy". That could just be in my mind but most people judge by what you see. Most of us do it.
    I was an event a few weeks ago and there was this huge guy, I mean enormous guy and his wife was also very, very big. I judged in that I felt bad because I know the uncomfort they are in on an almost daily basis. My judgement is more now from an understanding viewpoint.
    Is that wrong?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    ... I judged in that I felt bad because I know the uncomfort they are in on an almost daily basis. My judgement is more now from an understanding viewpoint.
    Is that wrong?

It wasn’t judgement, it was empathy, which is totally different. Empathy is never a bad thing. If more of us took the kinder, more thoughtful “There but for the grace of God go I” approach, the world would be a better place.
  • OAS5
    Options
    ... I judged in that I felt bad because I know the uncomfort they are in on an almost daily basis. My judgement is more now from an understanding viewpoint.
    Is that wrong?

It wasn’t judgement, it was empathy, which is totally different. Empathy is never a bad thing. If more of us took the kinder, more thoughtful “There but for the grace of God go I” approach, the world would be a better place.

Yes, it wasn't a laughing at or make fun of situation. It was a feel bad and understand kinda thing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's funny now that I have lost most of the weight I when I look back at basically everyone I met or saw at that time as embarrassment. Everyone I basically saw at any time, saw me and most likely judged me as "a fat guy". That could just be in my mind but most people judge by what you see. Most of us do it.
    I was an event a few weeks ago and there was this huge guy, I mean enormous guy and his wife was also very, very big. I judged in that I felt bad because I know the uncomfort they are in on an almost daily basis. My judgement is more now from an understanding viewpoint.
    Is that wrong?

I wouldn't call it judgment. It's an observation and a stream of thoughts. When I see a fat person I observe that they're fat. I may or may not have thoughts that they overeat. Sometimes I wonder if they're happy or wish to be thinner. When I was fat I had no illusions that people would look at me and not think I'm fat. I knew people aren't blind and I didn't think being fat was embarrassing.

I believe our brains blow things out of proportions. Most people (at least in my experience) don't really care that you're fat or think that you should be ashamed of yourself for being fat. They observe things about you and move on. When I look at someone I observe several things, like the color of their eyes, the way they move their hands when they talk, a pimple, stray hairs...etc. I'm not blind and I'm not brain dead. I see things and I think about them, but I don't call that judging.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!