Meat

Family are big meat eaters! I switch to turkey products for breakfast but this is getting old. Can you suggest meat that’s better for me-or even a better alternative

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    All you have to do is choose lean meats and trim off visible fat, and eat pork or marbled steaks only as an occasional treat. You do not have to ditch red meat. If you want the leanest of the lean, see if you can find bison meat.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What do you mean by “better for you”? Lower calorie, appropriate for specific health conditions, something else?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What exactly are you hoping for with "better for me?" If you are looking for lower fat meats, then lean beef (it will have less than turkey), chicken breast (white meat), and pretty much any sort of game meat (Bison, elk, venison, ostritch).

You can also work in some seafood into your diet as well, as most are lean and high in protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    The only turkey product I will eat besides actual turkey is turkey sausage because it's pretty delicious and about half the calories of pork sausage and 1.5 grams saturated fat vs 9 grams saturated fat per serving. I tried turkey bacon a long time ago and it's like eating a piece of cardboard...I decided long ago that for the amount of bacon I eat it wasn't worth it. I eat bacon with Sunday breakfast maybe twice per month or so if we're doing the big family Sunday breakfast.

Also note that a lot of bacon products aren't really much different nutritionally speaking than their counterparts...93% ground beef is virtually identical nutritionally speaking as ground turkey which around here I usually see ground turkey being 93%.

I also like Canadian bacon or ham for breakfast meat options.

"better for you" is also relative. It is beneficial to look at your diet on the whole rather than drown in the minutia of one particular food item or meal, etc.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Family are big meat eaters! I switch to turkey products for breakfast but this is getting old. Can you suggest meat that’s better for me-or even a better alternative

Hi @foreveryankee78 - turkey is meat - do you mean options that aren’t beef? There are a ton out there! It’s a great opportunity to get creative.

Are you looking for different types of meats or options that are meatless?

Non beef options - pheasant, Cornish game hen, venison, duck, pork loin, bison, lamb, goat ..

How about stew? You can lessen the amount of meat and supplement with more vegetables.

Non meat options - fish, Egg casseroles, tofu stir fry, shellfish

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,876 Member
    Low fat red meats are ostrich, venison and goat. If you know hunters probably other game such as moose and elk are leaner than beef. Game poultry such as quail and partridge will be more flavourful than turkey but not sure how it compares in terms of calories and cost.

If you don't mind that quorn is highly processesed, i find that substituting quorn mince for a third of ground meat in any recipe makes no discernable difference in taste or texture for less than half the calories of ground beef.

If no one has problems with wheat gluten, seitan is meat substitute I use in asian stir fries. Meaty texture and looks the part. Buy it in the asian supermarket where you can ask staff for "buddhist mock meat". Also available at Trader Joe's but likely more expensive there. I always keep a tin of the asian stuff in the store cupboard so I can whip up a stir fry when the fridge is empty. Sample recipe.

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mongolian-beef/
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Low fat red meats are ostrich, venison and goat. If you know hunters probably other game such as moose and elk are leaner than beef. Game poultry such as quail and partridge will be more flavourful than turkey but not sure how it compares in terms of calories and cost.

If you don't mind that quorn is highly processesed, i find that substituting quorn mince for a third of ground meat in any recipe makes no discernable difference in taste or texture for less than half the calories of ground beef.

If no one has problems with wheat gluten, seitan is meat substitute I use in asian stir fries. Meaty texture and looks the part. Buy it in the asian supermarket where you can ask staff for "buddhist mock meat". Also available at Trader Joe's but likely more expensive there. I always keep a tin of the asian stuff in the store cupboard so I can whip up a stir fry when the fridge is empty. Sample recipe.

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mongolian-beef/

@acpgee Ostrich!! Great idea and so tasty too! 💡
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    If you are getting quality meats and getting a wide variety of foods, than there is no reason not to eat the ones you enjoy. I regularly eat red meat. But I chose quality beef, lamb, chicken thighs, and pork (often boston butt) or bone in chops. I would take whole natural meats over highly processed plant based ones.