Should I take an iron tablet?

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents about low iron due to pre/menopause/periods:

My GP and gyno have said I have low iron because of my "heavy" periods. Since I had no other symptoms of low iron (no symptoms actually, lol) and I didn't have signs of cancer, gastro bleeding, etc., they just diagnosed "because of your period". I still haven't figured out how I only started to have low iron due to my period when my iron was "normal" during the previous 34 years of "heavy" periods.

IMO, diagnosing menstruation as the cause of low iron is a catch-all for most doctors.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I've never had low iron, even with:

The lower intake of iron as a pescatarian/mostly vegetarian.

Dieting.

Heavy periods in my 30s. (Reduced later with ablation.)

My intake, nowadays, is about half of what MFP shows, which I believe is correct for post menopause. But, my guess is that it has always been around that amount or lower since I've really worked this past year on getting protein up to 70-100 grams from 40-70 grams when I started tracking.

Definitely get tested.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I said:
    Consult, but know that most every woman pre menopause needs an iron supplement.
    Menstruation has been shown to be the major cause of anemia and iron deficiency in nulliparous women. A prophylactic dose of iron and folate supplements may be indicated for menstruating females to cushion the adverse effects of menstruation on hematologic status.

https://academic.oup.com/labmed/article/44/2/121/2657721

You didn't actually read the study, did you? First off, the study was on women in Nigeria, and makes clear that it's conclusions are regarding women in developing countries, who eat very different diets than women in developed countries.

Second, even this study doesn't support the conclusion that "most every woman pre menopause" needs an iron supplement.

I donate blood regularly and have since college. Before menopause, I was frequently on the border of acceptable hemoglobin and was sent home without donating when I was under the limit. I spoke with my doctor about this and he said it was typical and, since my numbers were good mid-month and I was not showing any signs of anemia, I did not need a supplement. His recommendation was to try to keep my iron up via diet and go in to donate during the time of the month that my hemoglobin was up.

Yes, this is an N=1 but speaking with many of my female friends they received similar advice from their doctors. Absent other symptoms, monthly reduced hemoglobin is not a problem.

I am similarly borderline for purposes of blood donation, frequently. I tend to take an iron supplement on days I expect to attempt to donate blood. I'm not certain exactly where in my cycle I might expect to have higher hemoglobin, but I haven't been deferred since I started supplementing on donation days.

Back when I was a teen, every time I went in for an annual Well-Woman exam, it would be suggested that I take a supplement, but when I followed their advice, I had symptoms of iron toxicity. Not something I'd recommend. If you think you may be low on iron, you should consult with a physician. Don't go ahead and take a supplement regularly just because the numbers here don't reflect compliance with Recommended Intake.

If you're interested in your hematocrit numbers, donating blood is a free way to have that done. They'll even give you juice and cookies afterwards. And you get that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you help someone. You could save a life!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I said:
    Menstruation has been shown to be the major cause of anemia and iron deficiency in nulliparous women. A prophylactic dose of iron and folate supplements may be indicated for menstruating females to cushion the adverse effects of menstruation on hematologic status.

https://academic.oup.com/labmed/article/44/2/121/2657721

You didn't actually read the study, did you? First off, the study was on women in Nigeria, and makes clear that it's conclusions are regarding women in developing countries, who eat very different diets than women in developed countries.

Second, even this study doesn't support the conclusion that "most every woman pre menopause" needs an iron supplement.

I donate blood regularly and have since college. Before menopause, I was frequently on the border of acceptable hemoglobin and was sent home without donating when I was under the limit. I spoke with my doctor about this and he said it was typical and, since my numbers were good mid-month and I was not showing any signs of anemia, I did not need a supplement. His recommendation was to try to keep my iron up via diet and go in to donate during the time of the month that my hemoglobin was up.

Yes, this is an N=1 but speaking with many of my female friends they received similar advice from their doctors. Absent other symptoms, monthly reduced hemoglobin is not a problem.

I am similarly borderline for purposes of blood donation, frequently. I tend to take an iron supplement on days I expect to attempt to donate blood. I'm not certain exactly where in my cycle I might expect to have higher hemoglobin, but I haven't been deferred since I started supplementing on donation days.

Back when I was a teen, every time I went in for an annual Well-Woman exam, it would be suggested that I take a supplement, but when I followed their advice, I had symptoms of iron toxicity. Not something I'd recommend. If you think you may be low on iron, you should consult with a physician. Don't go ahead and take a supplement regularly just because the numbers here don't reflect compliance with Recommended Intake.

If you're interested in your hematocrit numbers, donating blood is a free way to have that done. They'll even give you juice and cookies afterwards. And you get that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you help someone. You could save a life!

My doctor loaned me the portable testing machine and 10 tests with instructions to test once a week in the morning. Going through 2 full months actually gave me a good feel for my high and low times. IIRC he was actually doing some kind of research but this was the early 90's so I really don't remember.

I give as often as I can and it is even more important to me since I received 4 units a few years ago. My out is in the gallons and my in is only 1/2 gallon so I am still on the positive side.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Remember how you said you should stay out of threads about keto or macros because you didn't actually know anything about either? Add this to the list.

*Pre-menopausal vegetarian with stellar iron levels*