Halo Top. Yay or Nay?

Options
My store has quite few flavors and I'm thinking about getting a couple to try. The Lemon Cake and the Caramel Macchiato. Do you think they are worth it? What flavors did you like or didn't?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    My wife likes them. I have heard that some flavors are better than others.
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed them. I haven’t tried those specific flavors though.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Outshine frozen yogurt bars. 90 calories.🙂
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Back when I was experimenting with the low cal ice creams I preferred Enlightened. No harm in trying and seeing if you like the Halo Top, however.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I experimented with various brands and flavors of low cal ice creams and concluded they were not for me, but to each their own.

I concluded that if I wanted something reminiscent of ice cream, but with less calories, low fat Greek vanilla ice cream with fruit that I add was a better fit for me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Haven't bought the pints since they revamped the packaging to show 2.5 servings per package; I find it frustrating enough getting a gram weight (many entries in the database and I'm in Canada and find that the calorie information doesn't always line up with the US info) when the label gives me mls. I'm sticking to regular single-serve ice cream treats like bars and sandwiches.

That being said, I tried some HT strawberry cheesecake bars and found them pretty good.
  • Alexziz
    Alexziz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter lolly is lush
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Nope. Fat is what makes ice cream, in my opinion. I have tried a few kinds and arrived at that conclusion because it always feels like something's missing. I feel like I'm wasting my calories when I don't spend them well. McFlurry is a good middle ground at only 6% fat (the lower end of full fat variety) if I want something lighter, but not any lighter than that. 5% less enjoyment for fewer calories is worth it, but 50% less enjoyment is not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. I experimented here and there with the low calorie ice cream but decided for the amount of ice cream I eat (maybe once per month) I'd just go with the real deal and what I like. I don't actually keep ice cream in the house very often...it's usually something we go out for or get while we're out doing something fun with the fam.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's really good IMHO. I only stopped buying it because I became diabetic.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Many here rave about HT, but I tried several flavors, and found them curiously unsatisfying: Not worth even their low calories. (The didn't taste bad, nor do I react badly to the sugar alcohols. They're just majorly meh.)

Personally, I'd rather eat regular ice cream less often, have frozen fruit mixed with nonfat plain Greek yogurt and chocolate PB2 (peanut butter powder), or eat a Yasso Greek Yogurt Bar (especially fuge, brownie, or salted caramel).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I read rave reviews of HT on here. When it finally came to Canada, I took a closer look and found out it's about the same calories per serving as ice cream, but more expensive.

And yeah, I did originally think the calories were for the WHOLE pint, not per serving.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I read rave reviews of HT on here. When it finally came to Canada, I took a closer look and found out it's about the same calories per serving as ice cream, but more expensive.

And yeah, I did originally think the calories were for the WHOLE pint, not per serving.

Interesting.

Here in the US, a whole pint (at 240-360 calories for the pint, most flavors I've seen below 300) is in the ballpark of a 1/2C serving of most premium full-fat real-sugar ice cream (250 and up, usually).

Still not worth eating the HT, IMO, though. ;)
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I tried HT and wasn't thrilled. For 250-300 calories I can have a Drumstick ice cream and enjoy it way more than the HT.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any because I can't tolerate the ingredients (stevia specifically). If you know all of the ingredients are okay for you, give one a try.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If what you like about ice cream is mostly the sweet, then Halo Top might hit the spot. If like me what you really enjoy is the luxurious creaminess, it probably won't.

Also just a heads up- many people love that they can fit the whole pint in their calories. HT uses sugar alcohols, and too much can cause digestive distress for some people. When I tried HT and some of the other low cal ice creams,. I started with half a pint and ended up painfully bloated. And I figured if I could only eat less than half a pint anyway, I might as well just eat the real thing. So the first time you eat it, I'd suggest eating no more than half just in case you're sensitive to it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If what you like about ice cream is mostly the sweet, then Halo Top might hit the spot. If like me what you really enjoy is the luxurious creaminess, it probably won't.

Also just a heads up- many people love that they can fit the whole pint in their calories. HT uses sugar alcohols, and too much can cause digestive distress for some people. When I tried HT and some of the other low cal ice creams,. I started with half a pint and ended up painfully bloated. And I figured if I could only eat less than half a pint anyway, I might as well just eat the real thing. So the first time you eat it, I'd suggest eating no more than half just in case you're sensitive to it!

Google says it weighs about 250 grams and has ~300 calories. McFlurry is about 400 calories for 250 grams, only 100 calories difference but it actually tastes like ice cream. I'm personally satisfied with a single serving of ice cream, but for those who don't like halo top (or find it expensive) maybe it's worth finding a cheap ice cream they like, budget an extra 100 calories, and go to town. Fat is expensive, so cheap full fat ice creams tend to have less of it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    muh.......
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Google says it weighs about 250 grams and has ~300 calories. McFlurry is about 400 calories for 250 grams, only 100 calories difference but it actually tastes like ice cream. I'm personally satisfied with a single serving of ice cream, but for those who don't like halo top (or find it expensive) maybe it's worth finding a cheap ice cream they like, budget an extra 100 calories, and go to town. Fat is expensive, so cheap full fat ice creams tend to have less of it.

Yeah, I'm not a volume eater so I usually don't find it difficult to find creative ways to limit myself to a single serving of ice cream. There are a couple of flavors of "slow churned" ice cream available in the supermarket that I can stock up on sale and a reasonable (to me) serving is under 200 cals and to me much more satisfying than a larger serving of HT.

Having said that, I've had a few bad days in my time that ended with hoovering down a 1000 calorie pint of Ben & Jerry's :wink: