How do you push yourself to workout?

How do you push yourself to workout? When you feel down or not motivated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    How do you define "workout"

Basically, when you're doing something you enjoy you don't really need a whole lot of motivation. I primarily mountain bike or road ride and I love being out there. In the winter I do spin classes to keep in shape for cycling season.

More often than not, people tend to have a very myopic view of exercise or "workout"...find a physical activity you enjoy and go do that.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Likewise, I do exercise I enjoy so I don't need to force myself to do it - I want to! And usually I feel far better after a workout than I did before - there are very few rides that I regret going on, no matter how I feel at the start.
  • I remind myself that I will feel better once I've done it. And I always do. And even if I don't, I've at least gone and done the things that will maintain forward progress, regardless of how I feel, and that's at least a little pleasing. I'm trying to overcome deconditioning and so am going every day and slowly rebuilding enough muscle for just activities of daily living, and getting enough cardio capacity to handle ADLs. Eventually I'll change it up, but for now this is what I'm doing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Put on my workout clothes. Depending on what it is, think about the fun thing I will get to do while doing it (not feeling like a treadmill run or a run in the cold? I get myself excited about the music or podcast I will be able to listen to while doing it). Decide I'll do it for just 10 minutes and if I hate it I can stop (once I get 10 minutes in I am always fine to finish -- I've never stopped, but mentally it's easier thinking it's just 10 minutes if it's awful).

Bigger than that -- if you are not yet regularly exercising, try different things until you find something you like and then focus on that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I just do what I have to do, similar to taking a shower, brushing my teeth, etc. To me lifting is very important so I make it a priority.

I also don't push myself to workout everyday but have a goal of at least 3x per week, so I have to plan my schedule accordingly. And there are some weeks it doesn't happen, I try better the next week.

Same here. It's just a health habit that supports my goals.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    I just do what I have to do, similar to taking a shower, brushing my teeth, etc. To me lifting is very important so I make it a priority.

I also don't push myself to workout everyday but have a goal of at least 3x per week, so I have to plan my schedule accordingly. And there are some weeks it doesn't happen, I try better the next week.

Same here. It's just a health habit that supports my goals.

Same, its just "part of my day."
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I'm 55 and this time around I am doing it to stay as healthy as possible and doing it for ME, not anyone else. To see and feel the results that working out does to my health and body is a driving motivator every day.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    I do exercise I enjoy so I don't need to force myself to do it - I want to! And usually I feel far better after a workout than I did before
    ^^^^^^^
    This, and let friends know you’re doing it. I see a lot of the same faces when I’m out walking or biking, and just like friends on MFP they encourage you to keep it up. It’s great to hear people say how great your doing. My neighbor just gave me a cool walking stick for hiking.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    An episode of my 600 pound life always does the trick!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member

Similar to this. It's just part of my schedule and routine. It's a habit that I don't even think about anymore, other than specific goals. I use an app that automatically switches to my next set and exercise with a rest timer that prompts me to start that set after a time interval. (FitNotes for android).

You just have to figure out what works for you. Motivational pictures. Discipline/Reward. Morning/Midday/Evening. Classes/Home Gym. Private/Public. Goals/Challenges. Just slowly figure out what does and doesn't work for you until you find something sustainable. Identify things that get in the way and find ways to get around them one by one.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    As others have said, find something you enjoy doing. I was the least athletic person on the planet but discovered that I love lifting. Fortunately it fits my goals of maintaining/increasing bone density and muscle.

Fit it into a time that is most convenient for you. I genuinely wanted to work out but if I scheduled it in the evenings I was often too tired, or had meetings that ran too long, or had to clear snow... working out got pushed aside way too often. I get up a bit earlier in the mornings and get it done. Not much competes with a 5:30 AM workout for priority.

I have a protein shake that I particularly love and if I find myself running out of steam during a workout, I visualize that shake as my "reward". Build in small rewards for completion if that will motivate you.

Momentum really works for me. Once I got into the habit of working out I found I really missed it when I couldn't do it, like on vacation. I went to a conference in September and discovered that the resort had a small gym. I was really kicking myself for not investigating it before I went and bringing workout clothes with me.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Making it a habit that is a routine part of your week is definitely the most important part, because no matter how much you love a certain form of exercise, or exercise in general, there are going to be days and whole chunks of time in life when you have zero motivation. To make it a routine habit you need to start small and build. Plan 2-3 days this week to do 15 minutes of anything, set appointments in your calendar, plan accordingly, have workout clothes packed in a bag for after work, or next to your bed for the morning, what ever, plan how this is going to fit with your schedule (a lunch break, early morning, after work, in the evening) how is your meal timing going to work around this, are you going to be ravenous after work and skip your workout time to get food? then plan a snack to eat 30-60 min before, are you going to eat lunch before or after your lunchtime session? and so on and so on, the more you can plan and prepare the more likely you are to successfully carry through. In the beginning you have to actively work to build that system, after a while it becomes natural and you don't have to think about it. As you build the habit progress, in duration, frequency, intensity, whatever. The main thing is, you have to just start to build motivation, the motivation won't show up on its own.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    For me it's vital that part of my physical activity is something genuinely fun and exciting that I can't wait to go do. Doing something fun motivates me to get to the gym and train to get better at the fun activity. I love things that involve being off the ground, like climbing, trapeze, and more recently pole dancing. While those activities definitely result in building strength, I can get stronger faster in the gym, so I'm more motivated to complete my boring weight training program because it helps me progress faster in my fun activities.
  • I don't really consider the workouts I do "exercise".

I used to spend hours at the gym and hated every second. Now, instead of that, I go to a dance studio and take various classes there (aerobic dance, modern, ballet, jazz, ribbon dance, salsa, pole dancing, etc) + do aerial acrobatic stuff for strength training (lyra and aerial silks/hammock + pull-up training). I also do a yoga class once a week with my bf (though we always try to get more than one night in) and aim to hike once a week on the weekends because we enjoy being outdoors.
  • kdillingham7718
    kdillingham7718 Posts: 14 Member
    I try to focus on the feeling I know I will have when I finish it! There is really no feeling like the one you get after a kickass workout!
  • dg4464
    dg4464 Posts: 15 Member
    Yes same thing happens with me. Biggest thing is just getting to the gym lol.