Is Expensive Workout Clothing Worth It?

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    I have been having great success, at least for shirts, at the second hand shop. Already good pricing, and when it's half off -- Yeah. Trouble is, I've done so well I can kind of stop shopping, but I don't. Every now and then one doesn't function right; maybe someone washed it in liquid detergent and affected how it works. One shirt fits but is SO long -- I'm not that tall. Shorts seem to be harder to find, but that's ok.

As a bonus, I'm able to wear a size SMALL in many of these shirts. That seems to help them wick. Three bucks for Adidas. UA, or Nike or even REI is awesome. I have even been finding capeline that I can add to my cold weather kit for rafting, kayaking, SCUBA, and skiing. But the workout wear is a great value.

I used to avoid any/all clothes with logos. I don't want to be a walking advertisement. I play Ultimate, and our team color is yellow (team name is Lemon Jello). I had been wearing cotton T-shirts because that's what I could find. I finally found a high-tech shirt, in yellow, that fits. It had a swoosh on it. I also bought a pair of jammers (tight fitting swim trunks) on sale from a discount store (not second hand). They also had a swoosh. Eventually I got over it, and now I have several shirts that show a logo. I wish they would pay me money to advertise for them, but I have come to accept that sometimes I just have to wear a logo.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    My first workout leggings were $12 Viv Collection leggings from Amazon. Beautiful colors, easy machine washable and dryable care, last forrrrrever, got tons of compliments and their XL fit from a XX down to about a medium, which was great when I was downsizing every couple of months. I still use the old XL as jammie pants, although I can pull them up over my boobs without much effort.

As my dietician asked the other day, “have you done anything to reward yourself for the weight loss?” Yes. I upgraded my workout gear. I feel like I’ve earned them. I often change gear twice a day, and because I walk through the tourist/business/courthouse district to get there, I like wearing nice gear to the gym and studio. I even had a random drive by compliment thrown from a pickup truck this morning over some particularly colorful leggings. I feel like a million bucks with good gear, and it reflects in my workouts. Who’d a thunk it?

Like others, I never pay full price. I either wait for sales (I love K-Deer and Yoga Democracy), take hand-me-ups from my daughter (she buys NWT or lightly used via Poshmark and similar) or occasionally luck into K-Deer on the TJ Max website.

I really regret that Target has stopped carrying Champion workout gear. That was another of my go-to sources, especially for sports bras. I’ve tried the replacement brand and returned them. Will wear the current ones to rags and then have to deal with it, I guess.

I bought some Primark in Europe in December to test out. Not happy at all with it. You get what you pay for.

OTOH, I bought some holographic mermaid leggings from the Target kids department (because I CAN, oh happy dance) for $9.99 and people went nuts over them, lol. Good quality, too,

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am strictly and Under Armour girl because I think they last and 99.9% of the time they are squat proof (I have only had one pair that didn’t pass. I got to the outlet and save that way. I just bought my two first pairs of Athleta...oh my, they are so delux and lovely! They were about $100 each. UA averages $50 a pair.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    I am strictly and Under Armour girl because I think they last and 99.9% of the time they are squat proof (I have only had one pair that didn’t pass. I got to the outlet and save that way. I just bought my two first pairs of Athleta...oh my, they are so delux and lovely! They were about $100 each. UA averages $50 a pair.

LOL. I refuse to buy anything from UA because of certain aspects of their business model. Everyone has their preferences for all kinds of reasons.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    HilTri wrote: »

LOL. I refuse to buy anything from UA because of certain aspects of their business model. Everyone has their preferences for all kinds of reasons.

I miss their 7" 'bike' shorts. Covered the chub-rub-chafe areas completely, and the style of waistband you could fold down once (I'm short) and have it stay, and the seams were offset from sensitive bits (2 roughly parallel seams going across that were a few inches apart). Have yet to find a fully suitable replacement.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options

Ermm,
    you have notice that MFP is a site owned by Under Armour, haven't you?

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Nah. You don't have to pay a fortune. Lululemon is notorious for being overpriced crap that shows people's butts. I think if you pay in the range of twenty-thirty bucks for like Under Armour, Danskin or similar brand that should be fine. The UA compression capris I have are 8 years old and look new despite constant use, and no show through despite a thicc booty. Look for sales. Money's hard to come by, no reason to spend more than necessary.
  • earlnabby
    edited January 2020
    Options

Ermm,

Yup. I was on MFP before UA bought them and the changes they made are why I will never buy their merchandise or pay for Premium.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @ritzvin Sam's Club and Khol's carry Cuddleduds as well, I wear the leggings to work out.

I've been wearing my old tees and leggings that are too big now (slowly getting ones that fit but I'm replacing my whole wardrobe) to the gym but caught a glance in the mirror and I look pretty frumpy! I'll still wear them for home workouts. I got a workout top and jacket for Christmas and love the wicking from the shirt so I'll be getting more from TJ Maxx and Target, I'll check out Walmart's selection too. When my bike is fixed I'll definitely buy padded shorts.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Ermm,

Yup. I was on MFP before UA bought them and the changes they made are why I will never buy their merchandise or pay for Premium.

I'm not judging your decisions because I certainly have my own, "ugh I don't like a large large number of things that this company is doing, but also...". That said, do know that even when using the free version of MFP, you're still supporting Under Armor.
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I go as cheap as possible while on the weight loss journey -- have to replace the baggy stuff that falls off me every couple of months, so it's the big box stores for me. Maybe when I reach maintenance I'll look at the more expensive stuff. Appreciate the comments re: TJ Maxx tho, I may check that stuff out and see if there's reasonably priced men's athletic stuff there.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Nope, old cheap cloths. This is what I typically wear.....
    gh5agptwwcsg.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    Scored another nice, nearly new wicking shirt in a color I don't have yet plus a warm set of track pants at the second hand shop, both were half off the already low price. Score.

As a bonus, I found a folding BC hanger that I can use for an upcoming dive trip.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Ermm,

I'm not judging your decisions because I certainly have my own, "ugh I don't like a large large number of things that this company is doing, but also...". That said, do know that even when using the free version of MFP, you're still supporting Under Armor.

Not with my money and not with ads since I block all of them.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm a mixed bag. I refuse to pay full price for anything but

I only wear asics gel kayano shoes for running, because I cannot find anything else that suits my feet (sigh). And socks I have some cheap brand name ones, and they are great. I got some cheap non branded ones but kept getting blisters.

I wear UA leggings because they are the only ones I can find atm that are comfortable, don't ride too high (why is everything high waisted atm grrr) and fit just how I want them too.

For tops, I have some cheap ones from Kmart, and some brand name ones that I won in a running competition last year. I would never have bought the brand name ones, but I admit they are comfortable, and keep me cool. I do prefer them over the Kmart ones but not enough to actually buy them. When these aren't useful anymore, I'd go back to the cheap ones.

So really the answer from me is mixed. It really depends what you actually care about.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Every time I get something that really works, I think I've found my brand. But it turns out my favorite stuff is from several different brands. Running pants from UA and Adidas, shoes from Asics, 1/4-zip hoodie from Nike, t-shirts from Reebok, etc.

In general, UA seems to always sell something for each sport I need.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My favorite workout leggings are from Walmart. I've been using them over a year and no sign of wear. I work out 3x a week. It's hit or miss though, I have to heathered pairs I love - and a black pair I loathe. Not for quality issues, they are poorly designed and a decorative seam is uncomfortable. I expect that with $12 leggings, I'd not expect it with $80+ leggings. No problems passing the squat test, they are pretty thick for leggings actually.

My go-to shirts are a 3 pack from Amazon, $21 for three. Still holding strong.

What I will shell out for is the bras, I can't stand cheap sports bras. I did find my latest one cheap on clearance, but only because it was on clearance.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Ermm,

Not with my money and not with ads since I block all of them.

But with something that, in these times, is worth much more than ordinary money:
    Big Data (which is said to be "The Next Oil").
    Assuming that you are not only active on the forum, but are using the tool to you are already granting them a lot of personal information (and if you think your alias gives you some anonymity search the web for "fingerprinting"). If linked to other sites (Your activity tracker, social platforms, fitness-sites etc.) the personal information floats incontrollably multidirectional.
    No judging here either, but be aware that by having accepted the "Terms and conditions of use" of this site ( https://account.underarmour.com/en-us/terms-and-conditions# ) you are providing UA with personal data that can be and, actually, is sold to interested parties.

EDIT:
    But this is going way "Off Topic", sorry for this.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    No for clothing- yes for shoes

I buy my workout gear from Amazon or Costco. I workout hard and sweat. They only have so many washes in them before they look or smell bad - then I toss them and get new ones 😄. Since I don’t spend a lot, I use the new ones as my reward for hitting a goal.

Good shoes however are a necessity. I never cheap out on these. Good ASICS or Brooks only.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    In a nutshell, I think the more "technical" the clothing needs to be the more likely a higher priced respected brand will provide better quality (whether bought new or used). By technical I mean clothing suited to problems people have doing an activity and would include footwear for runners, walkers, hikers; padded bike shorts; moisture wicking for those who sweat; chlorine resistant swimwear, etc.