7,200 steps today! Starting today

Options
Goal is 10,000 a day. Will try for 5 days this week to start. I’m hoping this will help kick start the weight loss.

Cheers to all the walkers!

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Walking is the single best thing you can do for yourself. Check the NEAT strategies thread for tips on how to get more steps in.

I vacuum my house nearly every day, whether it needs it or not. I try not to park in the nearest parking space, or move the car if the next errand is at the other end of a long strip center.

I walk every opportunity I get. (Am slavering at the prospect of a new Lidl opening within a thirty minute walk- can you imagine making yourself walk or bike every day to get fresh groceries?! I bet you’d rethink any junk you put in the bag!)

And the silliest thing I do is make a separate trip for each pile of folded clothes to put them away- one for dress socks, one for workout socks, undies, workout gear, PJs, etc. it may only be twenty steps to the dresser but after I’ve made a couple of dozen short round trips and sidetracks, it can be 1,000 steps sometimes!

Those are some good hints for increasing your steps. I live in a spilt level house, so I make multiple trips up and down. No biggie if I forget something! My biggest problem is sometimes I forget to put my watch on and realize this after I've been running around.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If your step count was quite low previously, build up to the 10k a day slowly, don't try to get there within a few days. Just add a little more each day.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go to the mall and just window shop. I usually can get in a lot of steps that way.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go to the mall and just window shop. I usually can get in a lot of steps that way.

I do this on days when it is too hot or cold to walk outside. It does annoy me when people stand still on the escalators though. That is valuable steps being lost.
  • bex1086
    bex1086 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit short of 5000 so far and that's just from pottering around the house, soft play and a quick trip to the post office. I've got a 5 hour shift later as a waitress so will easily do another 5000 by the time I'm done. I normally walk four miles a day to take my child to school, on a day I work I can get as many as 25,000 steps in.

I lost weight in the past just by walking because I couldn't drive and I had a full time job as a waitress. I was a bit careful with what I ate but I still had a takeaway and a bottle of wine once a week plus a baileys hot chocolate most nights and pizza a lot too. Helped that I was in my early 20s though, 10 years later and things aren't quite as easy ☹️
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Goal is 10,000 a day. Will try for 5 days this week to start. I’m hoping this will help kick start the weight loss.

Cheers to all the walkers!

You do not need hope or a kick start. You only need a calorie deficit. To make sure you are in one you need to work on logging accuracy. Getting portion sizes correct with a food scale is highly recommended as is verifying the entries you select when logging against a label or the new USDA site.

Don't get me wrong. Increasing your steps is great to improve your fitness. However, increasing your energy out should also mean increasing your energy in so you make sure you are in the same amount of deficit. In other words if you are more active you should eat more to fuel that activity so that your rate of loss remains the same.

The foundation of using MFP as a tool to lose weight is logging accurately. Unfortunately this tool, like most tools, can be used incorrectly. You get this part right though and you do not have to worry about spending days or weeks at a time not losing fat weight when the scale is not giving you the news you want.