Negative calorie foods

Options
Should I input so-called negative calorie foods into my food diary? I'm not sure if the calories burned in the "daily activity" estimate include the act of eating and therefore each calorie consumed, even if eating it burns itself, would need to be logged. Also, does anyone have a reliable list of negative calorie foods? I saw one that had apples on it and I found that hard to believe. Thanks.

Replies

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question a while back and the response I received was that in your daily calorie needs (metabolic rate), the digestion and eating are already included. So yes, include them in your log.
  • WWhitaker
    Options
    There's no such thing as negative calorie foods. Find a more reliable source to read up on it if you're that interested. You need to log everything you eat.
  • chubswonky
    Options
    From what i've read, there are no negative calorie foods- even celery. Log it all! Apples have calories for sure and you definitely don't burn that many eating 'em
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There are NO such things as Negative Calorie Foods...
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    same as the others, no such thing, its an old wives tale. The doctors even had it on their show last week. Log everything
  • RaeNegron
    Options
    I have read that celery burns MORE calories to digest than the actual celery itself
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Anything that contains protein, carbohydrates and/or fat, or any combination of those macronutrients, contains calories.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that I believe this to be true but I've heard that broccoli is one of them. One site says that 100 grams of broccoli contain 25 calories. It goes on to say that it takes our bodies 80 calories to digest this amount of broccoli and its 25 calories. Therefore, if we ate the 100 grams of broccoli, we would lose 55 calories. Do the math but the source is questionable.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    "But in actuality, there are really no “negative calorie” foods that offer the body zero minus whatever calories. Calories wasted in extracting nutrients are already considered in calculating the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). TEF usually wastes about 10% of calories, but for some foods, the TEF can reach 20%. Still, that means a 10-calorie stalk of celery wastes 2 calories to deliver 8. Big deal."

Taken from this: http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703

Not the most scientific of sources, but it was one of the first that popped up in my google search. I can quote as many more as you would like, but that would be overkill.

There are no negative calorie foods. Can we please put this myth to rest?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    All food has calories. Let's not be silly.

:flowerforyou:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that I believe this to be true but I've heard that broccoli is one of them. One site says that 100 grams of broccoli contain 25 calories. It goes on to say that it takes our bodies 80 calories to digest this amount of broccoli and its 25 calories. Therefore, if we ate the 100 grams of broccoli, we would lose 55 calories. Do the math but the source is questionable.

I don't burn 80 calories walking a mile much less digesting broccoli.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    All food has calories. Let's not be silly.

:flowerforyou:

Agreed, silly has no place in calories. :smokin:
  • bonniebrien
    bonniebrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have always been suspicious about negative calorie foods. I will continue logging each and every morsel I eat. :smile:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    *runs into thread*

I believe in negative calorie foods!

*runs back out*
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a negative calorie food.