Increasing Protein Intake

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm struggling to meet my daily protein goal. I've added a dietitian-approved protein powder to my diet, usually adding it to my yogurt or baked goods. I eat meat (chicken, pork, beef), as well as veggie options (beans, chickpeas, lentils, tofu). I also eat eggs, cheese, hummus, and nuts, almost daily.

Suggestions for snack and meal choices that are a good source of protein?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    What is your daily protein goal and how far below it are you normally falling?

Your diet sounds like it's already pretty protein rich.

• KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Other than what you already mentioned, which sounds comprehensive on its own, there are dairy options (cottage cheese/Greek yogurt), fish, and whey protein shakes. You can also add extra egg whites to your eggs for a protein boost.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,044 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal, goal weight and calorie goal? Sometimes people believe they need 1g protein per pound of current body weight (bodybuilding sites often say this), when - for those still overweight or obese - 1g per pound of a healthy goal weight is plenty in most cases.

Cutting calories too aggressively for current weight while shooting for a high protein goal is another common scenario.

If the issue is simply finding additional sources of protein that you enjoy eating, this thread is a great resource:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories.

Also, your best tool is diary review, if you're logging food. Take a look at your diary every couple of days. Are there foods that contribute relatively many calories, but relatively little protein (or other nutrients that are challenging for you), but are not essential in current quantities for tastiness or overall satisfaction? If so, consider reducing or eliminating those foods, in favor of something else you enjoy eating that makes a better contribution to your nutritional goals. (The spreadsheet mentioned above can be a great help in this regard.) Tweak your eating in this way, gradually, over time; and before you know it, you'll have improved the nutritional picture with foods you personally enjoy.

You might also look at some of the foods you're buying (especially the prepared foods, if any), to see whether there are equally enjoyable alternatives with more protein. There are breads with more protein than others, cereals with more protein, etc., and it may be worth trying some alternatives to see if you enjoy them equally much. There are also foods with a similar dietary role that have more protein, for example, if you like grains or similar foods, quinoa has more protein than rice, and some people will find it equally tasty.

Personally, I'm a great believer in choosing foods I enjoy, if at all possible, vs. things that are "good for me" but kind of meh. Fortunately, lots of things are pretty tasty! :)

Best wishes!
  • heatherlynnsomers
    Options
    I guess I should have been a little more detailed. My dietitian has me aiming for 125 grams of protein per day. I'm usually pretty close to hitting it, but sometimes it's a struggle. I feel like I'm eating a lot of the same things every day, and it's starting to get boring.

I'm looking for meal and snack ideas that will help me hit my goal, while also getting to eat different things.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I guess I should have been a little more detailed. My dietitian has me aiming for 125 grams of protein per day. I'm usually pretty close to hitting it, but sometimes it's a struggle. I feel like I'm eating a lot of the same things every day, and it's starting to get boring.

I'm looking for meal and snack ideas that will help me hit my goal, while also getting to eat different things.

How many calories per day do you get? If less than 1667, more than 30% of your calories come from protein, which could be considered overkill. (The MFP default is 20% of calories coming from protein.)

If you do get at least 1667 calories, eat larger portions of meat and decrease carbs or fat or both, whatever is easier.

There was a thread recently from someone trying to up protein who was just having 2 oz of chicken per meal, when at least 4 oz would be a better serving size.
  • heatherlynnsomers
    Options
    I'm set to 1900 for a typical day. I'm very active though, so on those days, I aim for 2200-2300.

I can definitely eat a bit more meat. Reducing carbs and replacing with protein has been a bit tricky, but I do feel better when I do.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without seeing what you are eating. Usually my advice is:

(1) just up protein serving size and reduce serving size of some other foods to make room (usually added fat or starchy carbs, assuming the diet is already basically nutrient dense). [In other words, what kshama said]

(2) if you find that you are getting most of your protein from a single meal or two and not getting much at all from certain meals or snacks, consider changing those up to add protein.

Also, many people new to dieting (no clue if this is you) assume that the protein source of choice must be boneless, skinless chicken breast or turkey breast. Changing up protein sources can make it easier -- fish of all kinds, shellfish, chicken with bones in and skin on (just cut some fat elsewhere to make room), chicken thighs, lean cuts of beef (including lean ground beef), lean cuts of pork, any game meat, some cuts of lamb, low or no fat dairy, especially cottage cheese and greek yogurt, eggs (cut fat elsewhere) or (although not my choice) egg whites, try protein powder in some foods where it can be tasty, and there are non animal sources such as seitan, tofu, and tempeh, as well as bean and lentils.

Not a large source but can add a little are of course nuts and seeds and whole grains and many non starchy veg.

That said, did your dietitian explain the reason for the goal? For muscle maintenance while at a deficit the usual high end of the range (not that it's harmful to go over) is usually about 0.8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight, which for more is more like 95 g.
  • heatherlynnsomers
    Options
    I'm fairly knowledgeable about eating well (I know a lot of people say that, but I've actually put in the time and effort to learn more). We've upped my protein and fat goals, and reduced my carbs a bit (aside from when I'm more active than usual) to try to keep me feeling full. The meals and snacks of protein and healthy fats, with an appropriate amount of carbs stick with me, so I'm not over-eating or feeling hungry all the time.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you know all the various sources of protein and already eat a variety, I am not sure how we can help any more than we have absent (perhaps) an open diary that might allow us to come up with some creative meal ideas that are different.

Does your dietitian have ideas? Have you considered just browsing recipe sites for protein-based dishes that seem interesting?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings