Fat-Free Protein-Packed Flourless Chocolate Cake (Main Dish

Options
agataarchangel
agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
I made this one night as a quick-fix dinner after craving chocolate pancakes, or ANYTHING chocolatey all day (TOM, probably...haha). To my surprise, it turned out to be quite delicious and something I will definitely be making regularly. As a bonus, it is packed with protein, fat-free, and delicious! Can be made for dessert (with a protein-punch) or as a main dish on days when you just want to treat yourself.

1 Cup Egg Whites (boxed or fresh)
2 Tbsp Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
2 Tbsp Carnation or Light Hot Chocoltate (Optional)
1 Packet Sweet n Low
1/2 Tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp Oatmeal or Pancake Mix, or Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar-Free Jam or 2 tablespoons PB2

1. Whisk together all ingredients until you obtain a uniform consistency (no lumps).
2. Pour into greased pasta bowl, or curved plate so that the mix is relatively the same depth throught (deepest part of the mix should be no more than 1 inch thick to ensure it cooks evenly).
3. Microwaves vary, but I nuked my omelette at 50% power for 6-7 minutes and it came out evenly cooked and smelling delicious. I tested it by touching the middle part and making sure it felt a little firm to the touch (no liquid mix remained underneath the cooked portion).
4. Top with Jam or Jelly, or PB2. Whatever you like. (Chocolate/PB, hello!!)
5. Indulge and enjoy!

Whole recipe is about 270 calories (depending on the pancake mix/flour/cake-mix you use), and has 28 g of protein !!!

Replies

• Nikki881
    Options
    Yum, this sounds delicious! Thanks!
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    what is pb2?
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ooh, I bet you could use chocolate protein powder instead of the Carnation hot chocolate and Sweet n Low.

Thanks for the tip.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Will have to try this.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Just printed it and am going to try. Sounds yummy!! Thanks!!:bigsmile:
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    awesome! sounds great!
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    ooh, I bet you could use chocolate protein powder instead of the Carnation hot chocolate and Sweet n Low.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, you can totally use the protein powder...that'll take you well above 30g and maybe even 40g of protein for the recipe!
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    what is pb2?

PB2 is this amazing de-fatted peanut flour from Bell Plantation. It tastes just like peanut butter, has 1.5g of fat per serving (2 Tbsp), and is just peanut flour that you re-constitute with water. Imagine: peanut butter without the fat! I order it online regularly..... my last shipment of 12 1-LB bags of it came in 3 weeks ago :-)
  • Heather3186
    Options
    Yum! thanks for posting!!
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mmm sounds amazing!!!
  • postman_12
    postman_12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This recipe does sound delicious, but I'm not sure that it is fat free; cocoa beans are loaded w/ fat and quite a bit of that is present in cocoa powder. It is the unique melting properties of the fat in cocoa beans that contribute to the "chocolate experience", and my impression is that there is no way to have real chocolate without that fat.
    thanks for sharing the recipe!
  • mesafford
    mesafford Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump to find next week!! :) Btw- what consistency is this? More omlettey or more cakey?
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    bump to find next week!! :) Btw- what consistency is this? More omlettey or more cakey?

It depends on how much flour/cake mix/oatmeal/pancake mix you use; the less you use, the more "omlettey" it will be. If you like it smoother (think, firm omelette) then go with the ingredient amounts I posted. If you like it more cakey, add in a Tbsp-more of the flour/oatmeal or whatever. :-)
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    This recipe does sound delicious, but I'm not sure that it is fat free; cocoa beans are loaded w/ fat and quite a bit of that is present in cocoa powder. It is the unique melting properties of the fat in cocoa beans that contribute to the "chocolate experience", and my impression is that there is no way to have real chocolate without that fat.
    thanks for sharing the recipe!

True, you don't get the full "chocoate experience" with Cocoa Powder. BUT what you do get is a rich, chocolatey tasting dessert without all the fat. And yes, you are correct. It is 'virtually' fat-free. Cocoa Powder has about 1-1.5g of fat per Tbsp, but that's WAY less than regular chocolate (with its added cocoa butter), still full of antioxidants, and much better for you if you're trying to count your calories/fat grams.
  • Jleigh417
    Jleigh417 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yum!