How to stop sugar cravings???

Options
Recently, I’ve lost 60lbs. It’s taken over a year, in the gym 6-7 days a week, lo carb diet. The last month or so, I’ve had these incredible sweet cravings. Anyone have real ways to deal with this?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Eat something sweet? There are sweet things out there with low sugar content or eat some fruit.
  • chadkander
    chadkander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I’ve added apples, mangos, and dried cranberries. Seems to help in the mornings/afternoon. Around 6pmish is when, I want to drop all my fruit fixes and go to baskin robbins.
  • chadkander
    chadkander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I may try the smaller servings. I’m finding eating an apple or fruit is really slowing the intensity of the cravings.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Before I go to eating something sweet I have either tea or coffee with a tablespoon (or less) of whipping cream. Or a can of Zevia soda. If that doesn't help strawberries with a little whip cream (be sure to weigh out a portion)! Staying hydrated has helped me in general.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Fruit! Have a bowl of blueberries for example.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Diet jello with fat free cool whip or reddi-whip? A 40 calorie fudgsicle?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    honey crisp apples all the way, but I also allow for some chocolate at the end of the day or low calorie ENLIGHTENED ice cream or Halo Top
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    How are your other macros? Bodies can be weird.

Personally, I find that if I don't get a solid breakfast with a good portion of protein, my evening cravings (for whatever) are worse. I'm not saying that specific thing would be true for you, but it may be worth taking a fresh look at your overall nutritional picture, and experimenting with whether changes in that, or specific food choices, or timing of nutrients/calories, might result in better overall satisfaction.

Also, how are the non-food aspects of your routine, like sleep, stress, hydration, exercise, etc.? Suboptimal practice with some of those things can find expression as an energy demand, especially late in the day, as fatigue grows.

You've been losing weight for a long time. At that stage, weird hormonal** things start happening for some people. Maybe consider a couple weeks break at maintenance calories, if you haven't done that already?

** I'm talking hunger and appetite hormones, here, not sex hormones. ;)

Have you increased exercise lately, either volume, frequency, intensity, or type? Sometimes those things affect appetite, too.

You're getting closer to goal weight. Are you still trying to lose fast, or slowing your loss rate? Less fat on the body means a slower loss rate may be more reasonable, especially if you're getting down well toward/into the normal BMI range but going for more.

Best wishes!