Is Expensive Workout Clothing Worth It?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My old navy compression tights are as good in my view as any of the lululemons I ever had. And as for running shirts/workout tops, I can't wear the ones with built in bras so I buy less expensive ones. I will fork out better money for sweaters and jackets, as well as sports bras and running socks.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    In a nutshell, I think the more "technical" the clothing needs to be the more likely a higher priced respected brand will provide better quality (whether bought new or used). By technical I mean clothing suited to problems people have doing an activity and would include footwear for runners, walkers, hikers; padded bike shorts; moisture wicking for those who sweat; chlorine resistant swimwear, etc.

Yep. Which reminds me from yesterday's hike (mostly folks from my main cycling club) - a bunch of us had a LONG conversation about finding a decent waterproof jacket (in which you won't still get soaked from sweat) - gargantuan task that many on cycling tours would fork over massive $$$ to solve. (Apparently, Pearl Izumi's AmFIB fared really well versus a large pile of fail...I may be ordering one to try out shortly).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, I think the more "technical" the clothing needs to be the more likely a higher priced respected brand will provide better quality (whether bought new or used). By technical I mean clothing suited to problems people have doing an activity and would include footwear for runners, walkers, hikers; padded bike shorts; moisture wicking for those who sweat; chlorine resistant swimwear, etc.

Yes, mentally I distinguish between the stuff that's more expensive due to style components or just the cache of the brand name and the stuff that is more expensive because the company is putting in the effort to solve an activity-specific problem.

• vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options

+1
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Yep. Which reminds me from yesterday's hike (mostly folks from my main cycling club) - a bunch of us had a LONG conversation about finding a decent waterproof jacket (in which you won't still get soaked from sweat) - gargantuan task that many on cycling tours would fork over massive $$$ to solve. (Apparently, Pearl Izumi's AmFIB fared really well versus a large pile of fail...I may be ordering one to try out shortly).

Goretex Shake Dry.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    In my experience, yes. My Nike stuff has lasted me 8 years and counting; same for Adidas, Reebok and Sweaty Betty. The various products I have cool me, warm me, or keep me dry where they are supposed to. Additionally, the fit and comfort is well worth the extra money. I have equal amounts of cheaper workout clothing from Karrimor, Tesco and Sainsburys and it was just money down the drain - it is uncomfortable, the fit is terrible, and they don't wash well.