Can you gain "permanent" muscle mass? What happens when you stop lifting?

So say you have been weight training for 10 years and because of life circumstances you have to stop. After some time do you go back to where you were before you started lifting? Or is there a permanent change to your physique?

Replies

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,082 Member
    Eventually any muscle will shrink when you stop using it. Just the same as muscle grows when you use it more. Muscle that you use a whole lot seems to take longer to shrink - my Dad still had quite a bit of chest muscle from his college days, for example, when he was forty, but he also wasn't completely idle.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    It in part depends what toy did during that time off. Did you eat at maintenance or a surplus? Or did you eat at a deficit? If you are eating at maintenance or above, I'd imagine you would only see minor muscle mass loss with extended time off. If you were eating in a deficit, it would probably be a bit more.

It would take some time to build your strength up again, but just because you would have lost strength does not mean that you would have necessarily lost measurable muscle mass.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I heard somewhere that when you build muscle, more nucleus cells are made. They don't disappear when you lose muscle, even though the muscle shrinks. When you go to lift again later, you gain back to the point you left off faster, but not past that point.

I wish I could find that source.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Muscle is use it or lose it I think. At least bulkwise and strength.