NZ members, help me with my shopping list

Options
I have to go and do the grocery shopping tomorrow, I generally buy the same stuff every fortnight to feed the family and I just alter my food to make it low calorie. I plan ahead so I don’t get caught out but some foods I have to avoid or I’ll go over on my calories which sucks. Anyhow what sneaky low calorie snacks/ alternatives have you found in the supermarkets. Is there a better low cal alternative to sandwich thins?
Any super low cal snacks you’ve found?
Iv looked in the “dietary” isle but while most bars are low calorie they are so tiny that it’s almost still a waste of calories.
Thanks

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    What sort of calorie amount are you looking for with snacks? And what are sandwich thins? Do you mean thin sliced bread (is that still a thing?)?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh, one of the hands down best discoveries I made was Watties Lite tinned peaches - 100 cals for the whole tin! Add a dollop of Greek yoghurt, and hey presto! Dessert. Or Breakfast, or afternoon snack.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nony_Mouse, the thins are still available on online shopping but I haven’t seen them for a while. I looked at low carb bread but it was really high in calories. I need bread there’s only so much lettuce I can eat haha. My calories are set to 1500 but I’m eating around 1200 comfortably. The peaches and Greek yoghurt sounds amazing. Iv also discovered aunt Betty’s creamed rice desserts are under 100calories but everyone likes them and it’s far to expensive buying them for everyone.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    If you're looking for snack bars, the Nature Valley protein nut bars are ~200 cals (highly recommend the salted caramel), and Nice&Natural protein seed bars are ~150.

I'm not much help with bread sorry, eczema trigger. I used to eat Burgen though, cos it has higher protein, more fibre, etc - ~100 cals for a sandwich slice (toast slice gives the same 2 slice/83g info for cals etc, but is most definitely heavier).

And eat your other 300 cals ;) Faster is not better in this game.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    oh I love a Sandwich Thin. (I'm in oz). I like the Mission pitta bread, 1 whole pita pocket is 256 calories, I stuff them with hummus dip and salad, It makes 2 massive 'sandwiches' for about 400 calories.
    I also like rice paper role sheets. They are 102 calories for 4. I put loads of crunchy salad in them + tablespoon on dipping sauce.
    I also like the "Heinz Soup of The Day", I add in extra precut veggies and heat in the microwave. They end up about 200 calories.