Gain weight without tons of sugar, no gluten and light dairy

Options
Hey everyone,
So I’m gluten an soy free and fairly sensitive to dairy andddd my doctor told me don’t eat much sugar but I’m extremely underweight. So I have to figure out how to gain weight with those limitations. Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Tiffany_Ray
    Tiffany_Ray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try LaraBar (healthy with only few ingredients) for extra calorie snacks! Also, Bare banana chips. Eating gluten free extra thick rolled oats or adding it to smoothies can help!
  • autumnNicole5329
    autumnNicole5329 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try LaraBar (healthy with only few ingredients) for extra calorie snacks! Also, Bare banana chips. Eating gluten free extra thick rolled oats or adding it to smoothies can help!
    Ohhh I love Lara bars! I’ll have to try the banana chips, I’m not a big banana fan but I’d try it. Thanks!

• autumnNicole5329
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why did your doctor tell you not to eat much sugar and did they tell you how much is too much? What kind of doctor?

I agree with @sardelsa to focus on more fat. Maybe non gluten starches too like potatoes and gluten free grains.
    Because sugar makes bacteria grow and I’ve had a lot of problems with it not too long ago. He basically wants me to start with a cup of fruit a day or something sweet that’s small bc I haven’t had sugar in a while.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Eat loads of peanut butter! It’s so calorie dense!
    Snack on nuts & seeds
    Dried fruit but not too much as it’s sugary.
    Overnight oats made with nut milk
    Eggs in every form you can think of?
    Veggies or crisps or other savoury snacks loaded up with hummus or Taramasalata.
    Vegan ice cream?
    Oily fish like salmon & mackerel
    Avocado
    Protein shakes
    Mayonnaise & full fat butter on all your sandwiches
    Oil based dressings on all your salads
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    avocado, gluten free oats with peanut butter, hummus, eggs, beans. Some of the Keto high fat recipes may be good for what you are looking for. You want calorie dense foods. Coconut milk curries over rice. Peanut sauces stir fries. Fried food like falafel would work.
  • autumnNicole5329
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Eat loads of peanut butter! It’s so calorie dense!
    Snack on nuts & seeds
    Dried fruit but not too much as it’s sugary.
    Overnight oats made with nut milk
    Eggs in every form you can think of?
    Veggies or crisps or other savoury snacks loaded up with hummus or Taramasalata.
    Vegan ice cream?
    Oily fish like salmon & mackerel
    Avocado
    Protein shakes
    Mayonnaise & full fat butter on all your sandwiches
    Oil based dressings on all your salads
    I’ll definitely be trying some of these, thanks!!

• autumnNicole5329
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    avocado, gluten free oats with peanut butter, hummus, eggs, beans. Some of the Keto high fat recipes may be good for what you are looking for. You want calorie dense foods. Coconut milk curries over rice. Peanut sauces stir fries. Fried food like falafel would work.
    Great advice, thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

Yes, it's pretty easy to be soy and gluten free with Thai cooking. (Just make sure your soy sauce is gluten free. San-J is one brand that makes GF soy sauce.)

And coconut milk (from cans) calories do add up quickly! I usually sub half chicken stock for coconut milk to reduce calories.
  • autumnNicole5329
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, it's pretty easy to be soy and gluten free with Thai cooking. (Just make sure your soy sauce is gluten free. San-J is one brand that makes GF soy sauce.)

And coconut milk (from cans) calories do add up quickly! I usually sub half chicken stock for coconut milk to reduce calories.

I couldn’t do soy sauce even if it was gluten free because I can’t have soy lol. But yea I definitely will try coconut milk to bulk up my calories. Thanks!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

I couldn’t do soy sauce even if it was gluten free because I can’t have soy lol. But yea I definitely will try coconut milk to bulk up my calories. Thanks!

Oh, derp.

Well, there's fish sauce! A lot of my recipes call for both fish and soy sauce, but you could easily do all fish sauce. The brand I use is Squid and it does not contain soy.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Could your doctor refer you to a dietitian for help?

What do you typically eat? I would say eat more higher fat foods... Nuts and nut butters, oils, seeds, flax, avocado, coconut milk.. higher carb foods dried fruit, bananas, mangos, gluten free pasta and breads if possible, higher fat cuts of fish and meat, eggs. Making smoothies can help. Treats in moderation are fine especially of they help you reach your goals. Try to stay away from low fat, diet foods, too high fibre, things that fill you up too fast. Eat on a regular schedule every few hours, set alarm reminders if you have to, eat as soon as you wake up and right before bed to get the most calories in, and try not to do too much cardio or activity.

I’ve been to a dietitian and I have had bacteria get in my intestines and it literally wrecked my body. I went from 133lbs to 101lbs because I literally couldn’t eat anything or I’d have to go to the emergency room. So now that it’s finally gone my body is basically just exhausted and the doctor said the bacteria isn’t there but because it was there for so long my intestines are inflamed so I have to eat super gentle food. Thanks so much for the advice!

Was it by chance c-diff (or something similar)? No need to answer a personal medical question, but if it was I would suggest looking into a low FODMAP diet, at least temporarily. It's restrictive, but I know a few people who responded well after c-diff infections.
  • autumnNicole5329
    Options

Oh, derp.

Well, there's fish sauce! A lot of my recipes call for both fish and soy sauce, but you could easily do all fish sauce. The brand I use is Squid and it does not contain soy.

Hmm I’ll have to check that out, thanks!

• autumnNicole5329
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Could your doctor refer you to a dietitian for help?

What do you typically eat? I would say eat more higher fat foods... Nuts and nut butters, oils, seeds, flax, avocado, coconut milk.. higher carb foods dried fruit, bananas, mangos, gluten free pasta and breads if possible, higher fat cuts of fish and meat, eggs. Making smoothies can help. Treats in moderation are fine especially of they help you reach your goals. Try to stay away from low fat, diet foods, too high fibre, things that fill you up too fast. Eat on a regular schedule every few hours, set alarm reminders if you have to, eat as soon as you wake up and right before bed to get the most calories in, and try not to do too much cardio or activity.

I’ve been to a dietitian and I have had bacteria get in my intestines and it literally wrecked my body. I went from 133lbs to 101lbs because I literally couldn’t eat anything or I’d have to go to the emergency room. So now that it’s finally gone my body is basically just exhausted and the doctor said the bacteria isn’t there but because it was there for so long my intestines are inflamed so I have to eat super gentle food. Thanks so much for the advice!

Was it by chance c-diff (or something similar)? No need to answer a personal medical question, but if it was I would suggest looking into a low FODMAP diet, at least temporarily. It's restrictive, but I know a few people who responded well after c-diff infections.

No it wasn’t but I see why you could think that. Thanks anyway:)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options

Coconut Aminos is a wonderful replacement for Soy Sauce. I have a Soy allergy as well as a medical condition that can be very food sensitive so I understand trying to find things to eat. Coconut Aminos saved my behind because I LOVE Asian food in general.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm dairy free because my wife has to be and I'm highly reactive to wheat myself. We don't eat much sugar either. I've gained weight before. Nut butter is my weakness. Also, you could try Vegan Protein Drinks as well. SunWarrior is sugar free and delicious. I add bananas and nut butter to their Chocolate and it's like a Chocolate, PB shake (if the banana is frozen). We use either Coconut Milk or Almond Milk.

Vegan protein powders are a great way, also, to get more Polyphenols (which science is starting to demonstrate are very healing for the gut). Berries like Blueberries, tart berries if the pits don't bother you. SunWarrior has some Berry flavors too. Frozen berries with SunWarrior and other fruit is amazing.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So Delicious brand makes a number of dairy-free products. Their main line was soy-based (their name used to be Soy Delicious), but they’ve branched our to rice and coconut products. They have an unsweetened, full fat coconut yogurt that would be good in a pea-protein shake. Some Target stores even sell it.

When my oldest kid had food allergies and needed to gain weight I used to add extra coconut oil to his smoothies.

Omelets with lots of avocado and bacon would be a delicious way to add extra calories. I’ve tried Daya cheese, and unless it’s come a very long way in the last 7 years it’s for cheese emergencies only.
  • CherylHitchen
    CherylHitchen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently being treated for SIBO and leaky gut so I know what you are going through. In my case I didn't lose weight. I'm now gluten free and cow dairy free but also trying to lose weight. Not sure if SIBO is what you had but glad you found the help you needed for it. Gastro issues of any kind are not fun. I agree with many of the above comments. Best wishes!