Steak help

mechanicmom
mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
I don't know a lot about steak but I'd like to have one soon. Is there a cut that's lean but is tender too? I used to get ribeyes but I think they are pretty fattening. Also do you have any ideas on marinating and cooking? I'd like to try something new.
Thanks!

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    I don't know a lot about steak but I'd like to have one soon. Is there a cut that's lean but is tender too? I used to get ribeyes but I think they are pretty fattening. Also do you have any ideas on marinating and cooking? I'd like to try something new.
    Thanks!
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Leanest cut is Filet Mignon.

As far as marinating it depends on your tatse. With a filet you can wrap the cut with a slcie of bacon when you cook and use salt and pepper to taste
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    There really isn't a truly lean cut of meat, but there is a difference in fat content. Generally, the more ribbons of fat, the tasty and tender the cut. I try to stick to a leaner cut. When I am really craving a steak (and that isn't very often) I usually use a meat tenderizer (hand help pounder with little spikes on the bottom). It will allow any marinade to wiggle its way deep in the tissue as well as cutting fibrous tissue, making the steak eaier to cut and chew. As for cooking, once you marinde, I usually sear the steak on high heat (every side) and then cook it low heat in the oven (broil) so that it takes longer to cook (although I am a rare steak girl). The seer gives it a nice flavor, but the slow cook maked the meat more tender.

Best of luck!