Intermittent fasting

Options
Help! MyFitnessPal won’t let me close out my day because I’m intermittent fasting (5:2) and it thinks I have an eating disorder. I am intentionally eating 500 or less calories two full days every week.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    That's a safeguard to try to prevent the site from encouraging anorexics. If you read the message, it absolutely does not say that it thinks you have an ED. But anyway, just don't close on those days. I never bothered closing when I logged here, it doesn't matter. If you want friends to look at your diary or congratulate you, just post that you finished your first fasting day of the week at 499 cals or what not.
  • scooter262
    scooter262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been trying intermittent fasting as well, but doing the 6 to 8 hour window daily. This seems to be working quite well for me. I didn’t think I would be able to go 2 days a week eating only 500 calories. I basically skip breakfast, and eat between noon and 7 or so. I don’t get too hungry in the morning, and this helps me to not snack in the evenings.
  • mtamashiro
    mtamashiro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care if you don't close out a day in MFP.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Who cares - i never close my diary - it doesn't make any difference.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you really want to close out your diary and not seen the message about low calories....
    • Quick Add 1000 cals.
    • Close diary.
    • Delete 1000 cals.

Voila!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    shaker424 wrote: »
    Help! MyFitnessPal won’t let me close out my day because I’m intermittent fasting (5:2) and it thinks I have an eating disorder. I am intentionally eating 500 or less calories two full days every week.

I set the amount of calories each day for the amount I eat on non-fasting days and then on fasting days I add in enough "Generic - Filler Calories" to leave me the amount of calories I actually eat.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you really want to close out your diary and not seen the message about low calories....
    • Quick Add 1000 cals.
    • Close diary.
    • Delete 1000 cals.

Voila!

Why not 10,000 cals?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    • Quick Add 1000 cals.
    • Close diary.
    • Delete 1000 cals.

Voila!

Why not 10,000 cals?

Why not indeed. :smiley:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    • Quick Add 1000 cals.
    • Close diary.
    • Delete 1000 cals.

Voila!

Why not 10,000 cals?

Because then the message on your wall wouldn't say you were under your calorie goal, and that's super duper important ;)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    mtamashiro wrote: »
    Your body doesn't care if you don't close out a day in MFP.

What's more MFP doesn't care if you close out the day either. All it does is pop a message in your private feed and give you a rather meaningless 'if you ate like today' message. It really serves no functional purpose and I haven't closed my diary off in over two years.