Is it possible to have a fruit intolerance?

Options
So recently I have joined slimming world where I have been eating mostly speed/free food which is fruit and veg however I only like cauliflower and broccoli in veg so instead I’ve been eating LOADS of fruit nearly all of my meals contain fruit. Apples bananas melon oranges grapes strawberry’s n blueberrys mostly. However since I have started I have had a ginormous sore bloated belly. I thought it might have been pasta or potatoes but I cut them out continued eating my fruit and it’s still there. I never used to eat much fruit before slimming world and was hardly bloated. Could I have an intolerance to fruit that is making me sore and swell? I’m also really constipated I’ve upped my water intake to 3litres 2 weeks ago but still never have my bowels open unless I have laxatives I thought the water would of helped regulate me. Could this also be because of the fruit? Thank you

Replies

• xx1chloe5xx
    xx1chloe5xx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 @SuzySunshine99 thank you I will lay off it for abit see if that helps. Going Benidorm in 5 days and don’t want to be bloated lol.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    To answer the question: yes, like any food, people can have allergies or intolerances to specific fruits. If cutting back temporarily doesn't help the swelling, best action would be to see a doctor.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have a fructose intolerance. Fructose is fruit sugar. Gives me headaches and nausea when I eat fruit. I ALSO have IBS, which causes bloating and cramping and constipation and diarrhea when I eat too much fiber.

This is why I don't eat fruit very much. It may be a healthy choice for most people, but if it makes me feel sick,it's not a healthy choice for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Either you're allergic to something in the fruit, and some people are, or you're just overloading on it when your body is unused to processing it. Cut back to like 3 servings a day (not consumed all at once) and if that's no help, talk to your doctor to see what might be the reason.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I get that too, when I suddenly go all in on the fruits and veggies. Add it more gradually and things should subside! If they don't, see your doctor.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance to dragonfruit, it causes my throat to get itchy. But as others have said, it sounds like you went to hard too fast with the fruit.