Bought some Swai before reading up about it...Oh dear.

Options
I was excited...low carlorie...and yeah I ate some and its delicious...then I read some stuff...Hoy. Guess I need to find another source of protein for dinners!! Anyone have experiences or opinions on Swai and Tilapia?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I know.
    Try cod or pollock, mild white fish. It’s what I switched to.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I was excited...low carlorie...and yeah I ate some and its delicious...then I read some stuff...Hoy. Guess I need to find another source of protein for dinners!! Anyone have experiences or opinions on Swai and Tilapia?

Cheap, tasty, and clean up after other farm raised fish. Less waste. If you like lobster or crab, remember, they are cockroaches of the sea. Though they taste amazing imho.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Personally, I found swai to be flavorless, my hubby won't touch it. We do eat a lot of tilapia, though, and even more pollock. I can't seem to cook cod well, for some reason the texture becomes tough no matter how I cook it. But both tilapia and pollock are nice, solid fleshed, white fish that can be adapted to most any recipe. And tilapia is one of the few fish that you can prepare in the nuker (microwave) and not have it change texture, so it can be an exceptionally fast meal to prepare.
  • therealmarceline
    therealmarceline Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Swai, but I like Tilapia and I pick up mine from Costco where they have a rigorous process of choosing providers of their seafood. Sure it can be raised in absolutely abysmal conditions but it is also sustainable so, yeah, I would just look into where its coming from. Its such a great lean protein source!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Kudos on trying new fish!

I feel like these days we all have to have our research hat on as to where seafood is coming from. We’ve all bought fish and then said oops.

So swai- if it comes from the Mekong delta - I would pass on it. The run off from the rice farms go straight into the delta and there has been a lot of problems with fish contaminated with e.coli coming from the Mekong.

A few years back I was visiting Ho Chi Minh and my Vietnamese friends wouldn’t eat the fish from the Mekong. That’s all I had to know!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    If there are Kroger stores where you live, check out their tilapia at the sea food counter. They will prepare it ready to put in the oven with any seasoning or herbs you'd like, and makes it have at least a little flavor :) I also sometimes buy this frozen tilapia:

1de1v74mknjl.jpg
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get sustainably produced pangasius (same thing as swai, panga, Vietnamese catfish, basa, iridescent shark, and many more names): https://www.fishforward.eu/en/project/pangasius/
    But even with an ASC certification, personally I'm not fond of it; it's got no flavour and it's got no texture.