TV/books/music/etc during cardio

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
During inside cardio (dreadmill or stairstepper) I usually watch Netflix. I like junk shows around physical activities the best for this. I like watching other people sweat and push their boundaries while not having to think/focus too hard. The more I can distract myself, the further I can go!

* Biggest loser was my favorite despite having some serious issues with the show (not on netflix anymore)
* Strong
* Ultimate beastmaster though sometimes their falls make me twitch and nearly fall off too!
* Even some documentaries like Dawn Wall

Outside, depending on tempo goal and mood, I like
* my favorite music
* High tempo dance music
* my current audiobook - usually for hikes rather than runs. I run a lot slower to books usually
* Zombies!Run interspersed with one of the above.

What do you use for distraction? Bonus points for shows that are on Netflix or Prime, playlists on google play music, or a good distraction not listed above

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm currently watching F is for Family on Netflix as my cardio show. Too funny and a good distraction.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I only occasionally ride my indoor bike trainer when weather is bad or I can't get to the gym. I usually do GCN workouts from YouTube and they're typically pretty hard interval type of training. I will occasionally get on the bike for an easy spin and watch sports or something...but that's pretty gentle cardio. Most of my indoor cardio is at the gym in spin class.

Outdoor I primarily cycle and mountain bike...definitely no music on the road as I have to listen for traffic. Earbuds are pretty pointless mountain biking as the terrain would cause them to fall out constantly...plus awesome scenery.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I used Jane the Virgin as my reward for rowing and only allowed myself to watch an episode when I worked out. It was great because it was 5 seasons with like 25 episodes per season. And each episode is 45min long. I was devastated when I finally finished it and haven't found a good replacement yet.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my bike indoors on the trainer I'll watch, among other things, GCN, GTN, sometimes GMBN, documentaries, and videos on Bon Appetit's Youtube channel. I also will sometimes watch bike races, but my current DVR/cable box causes major interference with my power meter when it's on, so I'll only really watch things that I can stream to my TV via Chromecast. I basically have a Youtube playlist specifically for when I'm on my indoor trainer and edit it on a regular basis.

When I'm erging, I'll either listen to whatever music is playing (I erg with my rowing club), to a podcast, or to an audiobook. Music doesn't really do anything for me in terms of motivating my exercise/getting me hyped up despite the major importance music plays in my life. I honestly block out most of the music that is playing when I'm erging, likely becuase it's not the music that I typically listen to.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Either sports on TV or the Jugg Life podcast.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you liked The Dawn Wall, check out Dirtbag and Free Solo.