Help! I need some quick work lunch ideas

Options
HI all! I am looking for some quick and easy lunch ideas, ideally high protein. I do not eat seafood. :) Though, all ideas are welcome and appreciated!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I smoke chicken breasts on Sunday to use for lunch throughout the week. On a salad, in a wrap, with a veggie side, whatever.
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I make salads, bakes or soups using the following as my 'protein':

-tuna
    -cheeses (goat, feta, any kind really)
    -beans
    -eggs
    -chicken
    -greek yogurt

Then I pair that with tons of vegetables/fillers like:

-brussel sprouts/broccoli
    -sweet potato
    -quinoa
    -rice
    -peppers
    -celery
    -kale
    -spinach
    -mushrooms
    -tomato
    -cucumber
    -carrots
    -homemade dressing (olive oil and lemon, olive oil and balsamic, etc.)

I meal prep my lunches on Sunday nights to make my life easier throughout the week. I don't meal prep dinner because I make it fresh the day of.

:)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    - leftovers

but my go to's
    - boiled eggs and either cottage cheese or cow cheese, raw veggies, and home made protein bar as dessert.
    - tuna + crackers, raw veggies, home made protein bar for dessert
    - lower on the protein scale home made butternut squash quinoa soup, either cottage cheese or cow cheese, raw veggies home made protein bar as dessert.
  • sam20nic
    sam20nic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! Nope, no dietary restrictions.

I have burnt myself out on turkey, cream cheese & pickle roll-ups! (they don't sound that great, but they are actually delicious!)

Just trying to eat more healthy - less carbs/fat...you know the deal ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually go with salads or eggs for lunch...

so whatever greens and veggies and olives or pickles are laying around plus either tuna/chicken salad or ham/cheese rollups...

or a spinach/mushroom/garlic saute, then reheated with ham and a couple eggs, makes kind of an egg scramble bowl...

These are kind of my go-to lunches just depending on if I want something cold for lunch or hot for lunch
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    sam20nic wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! Nope, no dietary restrictions.

I have burnt myself out on turkey, cream cheese & pickle roll-ups! (they don't sound that great, but they are actually delicious!)

Just trying to eat more healthy - less carbs/fat...you know the deal ;)

There is nothing unhealthy about carbs and most fats. It is less healthy to burn yourself out with limited options because it can lead to boredom, binging, and perhaps rage-quitting. Weight loss only requires that you maintain a calorie deficit. Cutting carbs and fats is not necessary. As a rule you should not do anything to lose weight you are not prepared to do for the rest of your life.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Oh and BTW, I love roll-ups. My favorite is turkey, cream cheese, and scallions.
  • tiffyork
    tiffyork Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has some great pre packaged soups and salads.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sam20nic wrote: »
    HI all! I am looking for some quick and easy lunch ideas, ideally high protein. I do not eat seafood. :) Though, all ideas are welcome and appreciated!

Leftovers.

Batch cook at the weekend and reheat chilli/bolognese/stew etc
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I eat a turkey/salami sandwich and cottage cheese with sliced cucumbers literally every day lol. (in the summer I also do tomatoes from my garden). I'm actually going to make chicken salad tonight and have chicken salad sandwiches the rest of the week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I generally go home for lunch, but when I have to stay at work, my go-to is egg salad sandwich. 2 hardboiled large eggs, 7g mayo, 5g spicy mustard, and then add-ins for seasoning - this week, it was tbsp of taco sauce and cumin for a tex-mex type sandwich.

I could post every word of this, too. Egg salad sandwiches are my go to for lunch if I have to eat at work.
    Once in awhile, I also like to add curry and raisins (golden or "regular" are fine) and shredded carrots if I have some on hand.

I don't eat meat at home, but once in awhile I like to buy a packet of the cheapo pressed beef lunchmeat and have that on rye or wheat with mayo & pickles. Surprisingly good, especially with some fruit and/or veggies on the side. Edamame is one of my favorites for work, cold or steamed.

If I have to stay at work for lunch for some reason and know I'm going out for dinner, I will just bring a ton of different veggies and some chickpea & garlic hummus and then maybe a square of chocolate for "dessert".
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    One of my go-to lunches is the Trader Joe's Ancient Grains Lentil Soup. It's got loads of protein and fiber, has two servings per container (so two lunches for about 4 bucks, woo!) and I'll usually pair it with sliced cucumbers drizzled with lime and sea salt. I'll add string cheese or a piece of fruit if I need to.

I also make black bean tacos with corn tortillas and add in TJ's pineapple salsa. It's easy because all you need is a microwave, no prior cooking involved. I can prepare those suckers in less than 6 minutes in the lunch room, or just a minute and a half in the microwave if I've prepped at home. You can add cheese as necessary. My fave is cotija cheese because 1 oz of cotija is actually a TON of cotija, and 1 oz comes in at 7 g protein, 90 calories, and only 6 g of fat. On the flip side, 1 oz of Monterrey Jack comes in at 110 cals, 6.9g protein, and 8.6g of fat. And I usually need more Monterrey Jack to feel satisfied.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I eat a turkey/salami sandwich and cottage cheese with sliced cucumbers literally every day lol. (in the summer I also do tomatoes from my garden). I'm actually going to make chicken salad tonight and have chicken salad sandwiches the rest of the week.

Sliced cucumbers for the win!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    When I have no time I take an Amy's Bean, Rice, and Cheese burrito or a Madras Lentil pack. I always bring a salad or carrots and baby bell peppers with hummus. Other lunches are chicken salad, tuna salad, or turkey sandwiches. I often bring leftovers from the night before also. I also bring several snacks since I work a 10 hour shift. Hard boiled eggs, granola bars, protein shake, cheese stick, fruits, etc.
  • yooperbrat
    yooperbrat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I don't have anything to add but am hopping on because I literally was coming here to ask the same exact question. I'm T2 Diabetic and have the low carb part down pretty much, but it has recently come to my attention that I need to eat way more protein than I have been. Breakfasts I do ok with and dinner I usually have chicken or other meat with protein, but lunch is a mystery for me at this point. I don't want to do egg salad because I typically do eggs for breakfast.

I really think I'm going to have to look into protein powders/drink/bars, which I really have never been able to find any I could force myself to eat.

I'm too old and set in my ways, but I know I need to change!! ;-)
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I work full time and generally skip breakfast so lunch is my first meal. I normally take one of the family size packs of chicken breast from the grocery store and slice them thin on Saturdays and dump them all in an enormous Ziploc bag and let them sit with a ton of spices and a little bit of olive oil (just enough to be able to shake it around and get the spices reasonably evenly distributed). Sometimes I do a mix of herbs -basil, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and a little crushed red pepper. Sometimes its more like a taco seasoning type mix - cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Sometimes its something else - whatever you want it to be, just to make the chicken not boring. I let it sit until sunday, grill it all and dice it and keep it in a huge glass bowl. I also take 2 bags of regular cole slaw mix (the kind with just shredded veggies, no dressing) and a bag or 2 of broccoli slaw mix or whatever "power blend" mix of shredded veggies the store has. I mix all that up and keep it in a giant Ziploc bag. For the weekday lunches I do a salad with the shredded mix - about 2 cups, 5 oz of the grilled chicken and serving and half (sometimes 2) of Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranch dressing. Its surprisingly good and not nearly as boring as it sounds. I also bring a large sliced apple, a bag of veggies and a cup and a half of smartfood popcorn (the flaming hot white cheddar is bomb), and just sort of eat most of that throughout the day. I like this route because it has minimal prep (basically just the chicken) and I can easily make it every day..,..and also, the cole slaw mix salad is WAY tastier and less bland than lettuce.

sometimes I get bored with that and I do a serving of turkey pepperoni with 1.5 oz of sliced parmesan or super sharp cheddar (it has t be one of those 2 cheese though, or it doesn't seem to be as satisfying) with the same apple and bag of veggies.

And if I happen to make a good, low calorie broth based soup, sometime I'll have that.

it's pretty simple, but allows me to leave work with enough calories to have a portion controlled, but normal meal - like...I made beef stew over the weekend, nothing fancy, no weird ingredients, just no oil, light on the flour (for thickening) and I trimmed the beef roast before I cooked. it doesn't feel like weird *kitten* diet food, because it isn't. And that works best for me.
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I buy a family sized bag of premixed kale salad (with shredded Brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc) and just put some in a container out each morning. It comes with poppyseed dressing, nuts, and dried cranberries. I add half an avocado and a few French’s crispy onions for crunch. You could add or swap in a different protein for the avo! So fast to throw together in the morning.
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been eating salad in a jar for years. In a Qt mason jar: No cal dressing on the bottom, 1/4 cup hearty vegetables that can handle being in dressing, 2-3 oz protein, fill the rest with whatever type salad you like (about 2 cups). I can make the whole week's on the weekend & grab & go. Sometimes throw in beans if it hits the theme of the salad.