TOO MUCH Protein?

Options
I've found almost every day I am eating way MORE protein than MFP suggests for me. Is this bad for me?

Replies

• kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein req. is on the low side to say the least. I wouldn't worry that one being "in the red"...in fact, I'd celebrate it. Yay protein!
  • guastato
    guastato Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good question, because I've noticed I'm having the same problem!
  • Marzipans11
    Marzipans11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I ignore the protein one. The ones I pay attention to are cholesterol, carbs, fat, and sodium... and calories of course! :)
  • indydjdj
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to do, I can't give you the technical name, but the diet I lost weight on before and the diet I am on now is high protein. I found I lost the most when I had a 60% Protein/ 30% Carb / 10% fat breakdown on my daily intake. I've noticed I am WAY over as well, but I think they just use the suggested numbers that you would find on a food pyramid or what have you. I would google it for reassurance, but I think you should be fine.
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    All depends on what you believe about protein. I have learned of several studies that show we don't need as much as we think we do. (Or as the meat companies say we should have.) In the opinion of plant based diets, Americans eat too much protein, where as we probably only need about 1/4th of what we usually eat. If you're going to have it, try getting it through your grains and veggies as well. ;)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    For me to lose weight, I need to stay on the high protein side of things. I switched to more fruits and vegetables and hit a plateau. My nutritionist suggested eating more beans to increase my fiber intake and reduce my sodium. It is not bad as long as it is not all processed meat. What sort of protein are you eating?
  • jd338
    jd338 Posts: 14
    Options
    FYI You can adjust your goals and up your protein, I adjusted mine to 1 gm of protein per kg (of my weight). I think that is a bit more reasonable....plus it helps rein in my carbs (which I could live on!)
    Good luck!
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Most of my protein comes from chicken, turkey, soy based products, whole grains, and dairy. I try not to eat a lot of overprocessed foods unless I'm in a pinch, and have cut down dramatically on red meat only eating it once every week or two. I also seem to go over on my fiber (and carbs and sodium and I know thats bad but I drink lots of water to combat the sodium!). I go over on some vitamins every day too between what I get from food and my multivitamin I take.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you are working out a lot, especially if it includes weight training you need more protein. I adjusted my intake on MFP to 40% Carbs, 40% Protein, and 20% Fat. This is really helping with giving my body definition and tone.
  • indydjdj
    Options
    How do you change your goals for fat/carbs/protein?
  • jd338
    jd338 Posts: 14
    Options
    click on "goals" and then "edit goals" (green button)...then you can set any parameter you like. :)