Beating Myself Up...

Options
I mentally beat myself up anytime I go over my calorie goal, even by just a little bit, even if it was unfortunate circumstances that made it happen. Tonight, for instance, I brought dinner to work but it was HORRIBLE....so I only picked at it before throwing 3/4 of it out, but I was still starving....so, the best I could do was a bagel with some ham and cheese on it because I'm stuck at work. Because I couldn't undo what I already ate for the day, it's making me over my calorie goal by 141. I'm trying to realize I'm still eating way less than I did before MFP even when this stuff happens, but it's really hard to be okay with being over.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i hate being over :( even by just a couple! just let it go today and know that tomorrow is a clean day :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I do the same kinds of things. Don't dwell on it & start new tomorrow :smile:
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just acknowledge that some unexpected things happened so you went slightly over. You learn and move on. If you stress yourself out by small things like this, you're not doing yourself any favours.
    Your goal shouldn't be to hit a specific # of calories every single day but eat healthy in general and have a calorie deficit in the long run. If you feel guilty about it, go work out tomorrow and make up those 141 calories!
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's a crappy feeling to go over but try to think of it this way if its only now and then are u eating better on a "bad" day then u were before on a regular day then to me its stiill a success and move on to a better day tomorrow
  • anner53108
    Options
    Yes, life happens. You have to roll with it, and realize that a new day awaits you tomorrow! And that's not too much over -- I usually don't freak out too much unless I'm 200 or more over. Less than that, and it's easy to make it up later in the week.

I try to use days like that to learn from. I've had the "stuck-at-work-without-good-food" situation, too. Since then, I keep some Healthy Choice Mixers (pasta) in my drawer, as well as almonds and healthy crackers or something. And I also try to plan for the possibility of being stuck there and take my dinner with me. But, alas, I forget (like last week), and end up having crackers for dinner. Sigh.

Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself! You're human, and this is a journey, not one day! Besides, I'm all about moderation -- you need to allow yourself to indulge a little here and there, or you'll never stick with this (at least that's the way it is for me).

Keep up the great work! :smile:

~ Ann
  • routerguy666
    Options
    141 calories...

If that's above your maintenance, you gained 4 one-hundredths of a pound.

Probably not worth losing sleep over.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    And don't forget..the calories we log are *estimates*! It will even out...especially if you go work a portion of them off!! Don't beat yourself up...that's how we begin the downhill journey to giving up. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to keep some soup and things like that in my locker. I really need to replenish my stash.
  • kristlynngirl
    Options
    141 calories...

If that's above your maintenance, you gained 4 one-hundredths of a pound.

Probably not worth losing sleep over.

Good perspective!
  • beaverneiv184
    beaverneiv184 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of the things I like about MFP is that every day is a new start. If you do poorly one day, the next day is a new beginning! Don't beat yourself up over it! I know when I go out with my friends I am going to go over, but that is also part of living your life, rather than being on a diet. I've even had days where I didn't get a chance to log anything I've eaten, I just remember, that the next day is a new start, and to keep on going!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i know how you feel, i tend to get really obsessive about my calorie count. but just know, sometimes you're gonna be over, sometimes you're gonna be under, unless you're eating like 500 extra calories a day it's not really gonna make a difference :) and just think- was the extra 141 calories (what is that, like, 2 string cheeses? not a whole lot of calories) worth being able to eat dinner? since i'm sure the answer was yes, don't worry too much about it :D
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    141 cals into deficit is still only 141 out of 500 (if your goal is 1lb loss per week?), so you will still lose 3/4 pound if you do that every day!!

And if you're that worried, make it back tomorrow.

You're probably putting on more weight producing cortisol by worrying about it!! :laugh:

Honestly, it will even out and you wont even notice.

You're doing Great!! :flowerforyou:
  • kristlynngirl
    Options
    I suppose it's better to be over by a little than starving and miserable.
  • arosmith79
    arosmith79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    And honestly, its no big deal to be over one day. You summed up the overall picture perfectly......"I am still eating way less than I ever did before MFP." Keep up the great work!
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    And you can always add a little extra burn tomorrow.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i hate being over :( even by just a couple! just let it go today and know that tomorrow is a clean day :)

Exactly... we all get it... but dont beat yourself up. <3