Seroquel

If you've had a Seroquel binge before you're the person I want to talk to. How do I stop that intense, hysterical craving??

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    You need to discuss this with a physician or a therapist. You appear to have addiction issues if you are using it as a means to escape whatever issues are causing you to need it in the first place. If you have been taking it excessively for any length of time you will need to wean off it's stopping abruptly can have serious consequences.

I've been taking a controlled dose for over ten years, and the 200 mg I take every night still kicks my butt. Please discuss this with a professional ad soon as possible.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    isacoetzee wrote: »
    If you've had a Seroquel binge before you're the person I want to talk to. How do I stop that intense, hysterical craving??

Do you mean a food binge caused by Seroquel? ... or abuse of the actual drug?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    isacoetzee wrote: »

Do you mean a food binge caused by Seroquel? ... or abuse of the actual drug?

Oh snap! You're probably on the right track :D I believe I misinterpreted the OP.
  • eileenmcpartlin
    eileenmcpartlin Posts: 10 Member
    I'm on Seroquel and I binge eat. Sometimes I can go for several months without a binge, sometimes only weeks. But once in a binge phase, it can last for weeks. I'd planned to discuss it with my psychiatrist at my next review becuase it's emotionally based and I certainly show some eating disorder symptoms. And recently it seems to have ramped up a notch or two.

But I'd never thought of binge eating being associated with Seroquel - until I read your post and then did a quick google. Then I realised I've only been experiencing these binge periods since around the same time I started taking Seroquel around 6 years ago (doh). To me, a bit of a light bulb moment.

How do your binges manifest themselves, isacoetzee and have you found anything that helps them? And have you raised the issue with your psychiatrist?

Good to know I'm not alone although Seroquel is the one medication which has really helped my bipolar - it revolutionised things for me after I started on it - so I'd be reluctant to try any alternative meds.
  • My partner put on a lot of weight on seroquel. The only thing that helped him was when he changed to a different medication.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    I put on so much weight on quitiapine.it gave me this monster appitie which never abated. I was only on it three months as it was put of control. Once I changed it stopped
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I see that Seroquel ... is an atypical antipsychotic used for the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.

If you are taking it for depression, there are many many ADs out there.

However, if, for example, you are bipolar and have tried many medications and this is the only one that works, then I encourage you to find ways to deal with the tendency to binge.

If this is not the case, do work with your doctor to find a medication that treats your issue without side effects that make your life worse.

My brother needs antipsychotics. When they are not working well for him, his team takes him seriously because when he's psychotic he could hurt someone else. And our mother is a retired social worker who is great at advocating for him.

Unfortunately, "just weight gain" is likely to not be taken as seriously - you'll need to be a strong advocate for yourself.
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 518 Member
    I gained over 100 lbs being on Seroquel because of the binge eating. I had to get off of it because I couldn't take eating all the time. There are many other mood stabilizers out there that doesn't cause near the problems with wanting to constantly eat.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I see that Seroquel ... is an atypical antipsychotic used for the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.

If you are taking it for depression, there are many many ADs out there.

However, if, for example, you are bipolar and have tried many medications and this is the only one that works, then I encourage you to find ways to deal with the tendency to binge.

If this is not the case, do work with your doctor to find a medication that treats your issue without side effects that make your life worse.

My brother needs antipsychotics. When they are not working well for him, his team takes him seriously because when he's psychotic he could hurt someone else. And our mother is a retired social worker who is great at advocating for him.

Unfortunately, "just weight gain" is likely to not be taken as seriously - you'll need to be a strong advocate for yourself.

I just wanted to respond to this by saying that while there are quite a lot of antidepressants on the market, that doesn't mean that it is at all easy to find one that works for you. It still is a manner of, "However, if, for example, you are bipolar depression and have tried many medications and this is the only one that works, then I encourage you to find ways to deal with the tendency to binge."

This is especially true because it's a. difficult to find psychotropic meds that work for you, b. if you're someone with MDD who has had to try a number of psychotropic meds, the likelihood of finding one that will be effective is smaller than if you're someone who hasn't had to try a number, and c. a lot of people just can't find a psychotropic medication that is actually effective.