Eating bacon every morning, what are your thoughts?

What's so bad about bacon that we advice not eating it too often? Other than nitrates potentially, what's harmful about bacon?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    sounds delicious!!!!
    I personally like the taste of turkey bacon or chicken bacon
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    If youve got time
  • Italianma7
    Italianma7 Posts: 83 Member
    Did someone say bacon 🥓 🤗🤗
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    I’m in for bacon❤️
    Crisp and drained on paper towels, delicious!! Tried turkey bacon, once, no comparison taste wise. Husband said “never buy this again”. Both have nitrates. As with other processed meats, nitrates may be a risk. I’ve been eating bacon all my life (68), and so far🤞🏻no health issues, but I usually only have it for Sunday breakfast.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Bacon is your friend. Weigh it cooked and drained unless the pan fat is to be drank (or is it drunk?). I like to make a bed of several pieces of cooked bacon and top it with a fried egg. Or, I urge a bacon and date sandwich in a scorched low calories tortilla wrap.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I eat bacon almost everyday... sooo good! And the calories aren't bad.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

Have you read the study attached to the article, it's based on self-reported questionnaires, by no means a controlled study of diet/lifestyle. Results were that increased cancer risk was associated with intake of red meat. Meaning it's correlative rather than causitive.

Otherwise we should all stop eating cheese, in case we might die from our bedsheets

xey30ko8ogg6.png
    Source: https://tylervigen.com/old-version.html

this made me literally lol; thank you! :laugh:
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    The increase in risk doesn't seem to be significant, if it's just that I will keep eating my bacon :D . I was more concerned about the immediate or short term effects.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I go through phases with my breakfasts. I've been eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast for the last several months but before that I was eating bacon and egg tacos every morning. Yum. Bacon is life.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,302 Member
    I eat bacon quite often. However, I don't have to worry about nitrates because my roommates brother raises the pigs we get so it is all fresh and not injected with anything......and tastes way better than grocery store pkgs.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2020
    I rarely eat it anymore, but doesn't mean I won't ever again. My problem with it is, I can't just eat 2 pieces and be satisfied with it. It's that good! as far as healthy option, most likely not the best, but I would rather have my last meal with bacon in it than a carrot! :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    There’s risk from many things in life. Some things are worth risks, bacon is one of the worthwhile risks 🥓
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not a huge bacon guy. I'll make it a couple times per month when we have our family Sunday breakfasts but I wouldn't want to eat it everyday. I do eat a lot of turkey breakfast sausage though. Two servings is only about 200 calories, low in saturated fat, and 22 grams of protein. That and a couple of eggs scrambled is a pretty frequent breakfast for me.