First Introduction to dieting

Hey all, my name is Aimelia... I hope everyone is doing great today.

This is my first experience with dieting and I am trying to be a good learner, but I am a trial and error kind of girl who has to keep up experimenting till I figure it out. :open_mouth::confused:

I am not where I want to be for my size even though all the things tell me I am in the "normal" range... apparently normal range means... what? that I have a big butt and bloated gut.

I am learning proper foods for a healthier me because I carry too much fat in my liver for my specific health needs. Well that kind of shocked me because I don't eat a ton of crapola foods. I dunno. Anyway I am here to track weight loss to live a healthier life.

I am a little frustrated and slightly confused with what I am doing in some parts of this journey since I never had to watch my weight and intake in my life before.

I guess i am just rambling, not sure what to say in my first post here.

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Hello and welcome!
    What are your stats and goals (height and weight)?
    Who said you have too much fat in your liver? Sounds odd.

This is a good place to start for general advice:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    FLFemme wrote: »
    Hey all, my name is Aimelia... I hope everyone is doing great today.

This is my first experience with dieting and I am trying to be a good learner, but I am a trial and error kind of girl who has to keep up experimenting till I figure it out. :open_mouth::confused:

I am not where I want to be for my size even though all the things tell me I am in the "normal" range... apparently normal range means... what? that I have a big butt and bloated gut.

I am learning proper foods for a healthier me because I carry too much fat in my liver for my specific health needs. Well that kind of shocked me because I don't eat a ton of crapola foods. I dunno. Anyway I am here to track weight loss to live a healthier life.

I am a little frustrated and slightly confused with what I am doing in some parts of this journey since I never had to watch my weight and intake in my life before.

I guess i am just rambling, not sure what to say in my first post here.

Assuming you're talking about BMI, normal range is simply the range for which you are at inherently less risk for certain health conditions. It's not an indicator of health, nor is it remotely an indicator of aesthetics or body composition. The BMI range is simply an indicator of potential risk where being outside of "normal" leaves you with a greater potential risk of health issues.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Since you mentioned your liver I'm guessing this all started with a doctor's appointment. I think if you're trying to fix a fatty liver, seeing a dietitian would be the best thing you can do if it's possible to afford that. Otherwise I'd keep seeing the family doctor. I've got one friend who dealt with fatty liver by going vegan and another who resolved it by getting her blood sugar down on a low carb/no sugar diet, both with a doctor's supervision. I'm doing the no refined carbs/no sugar thing myself under the doctor's care bc I'm diabetic and man it sucks. I am pretty sure it'll all go better if you exercise regularly because that helps your body metabolize things better.
  • FLFemme
    FLFemme Posts: 5 Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Hello and welcome!
    What are your stats and goals (height and weight)?
    Who said you have too much fat in your liver? Sounds odd.

Hi, 5'3ish" Today 139 lbs and my goal is to very slowly work down to 125 lbs. My main concern in my weight/lifestyle change is a diet more suited for my body's needs and to get my butt off the chair and be more physically active/fir for a better me.

And with lots of tests to verify, my liver has too much fat because of 2 meds that I have been taking. 1 I have been changed from and another cannot be changed at this time.
  • FLFemme
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    FLFemme wrote: »
    Assuming you're talking about BMI, normal range is simply the range for which you are at inherently less risk for certain health conditions. It's not an indicator of health, nor is it remotely an indicator of aesthetics or body composition. The BMI range is simply an indicator of potential risk where being outside of "normal" leaves you with a greater potential risk of health issues.

What you said is pretty much what my doctor said regarding the BMI, and he said don't pay all that much attention to that stat unless something were to change in my lifestyle or habits that brought me to be at the top or over the mid range of normal.
  • FLFemme
    Kathryn247 wrote: »

Kathryn, thank you very much for your links... one link led to another and I learned a lot of things I was looking for, found answers to questions I wasn't sure about what I even wanted to ask and found some confidence that what I am trying to do in my daily life here and in my home are pretty common sense and good choices.