Does this look right - same steps different calories

Hi everyone, hoping someone understands this better than I do!

Yesterday I walked about 9000 steps. I was at work, sedentary desk job but a bit of walking around and to and from trains hence the 9k. No calories added.

Today I went to the gym and have also walked 9k steps and it has given me 400 calories for the steps on top of the exercise. Is this right?

I thought it may be due to my use of a Garmin which also constantly tracks heart rate? Any thoughts?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Have you calibrated your heart rate zones on your Garmin? I think you're correct in your guess - I get much higher calorie burns for higher heart rate, which isn't always an accurate estimate of my actual *work*.
  • ceastabrook
    ceastabrook Posts: 13 Member
    Have you calibrated your heart rate zones on your Garmin? I think you're correct in your guess - I get much higher calorie burns for higher heart rate, which isn't always an accurate estimate of my actual *work*.

Yes! I actually have a high heart rate so if I didn't calibrate it, my Garmin would be assuming I was working at a much higher rate than I actually am. That would be even worse. My Garmin agrees that I've burned more today by 800+ calories, so I can only imagine this is what is causing it.