One Meal A Day Keto

Options
Hello,

I am looking at joining the Keto lifestyle and making use of intermittent fasting, but I'm having a hard time making my macros work on here when I play around with the different foods. (I'm trying to meal plan before I jump in feet first.)

For those unfamiliar with intermittent fasting, it works off the idea that whenever you aren't eating, your insulin levels lower and your body burns off it's fat stores. (combined with keto which forces the body to burn ketones made from fat instead of sugar, and it helps with weight loss). The longer you fast, the longer you get said results, so in theory, the one meal a day plan would work best, if I could figure out how to get enough calories in the correct macros in one meal. (70-75% fat, 20% protein, 5-10% carbs).

It seems like whenever I add a fatty food that doesn't have carbs, It has protein, and too much protein leads to the same problems as adding carbs (from what I've researched), and can pull you out of ketosis. I just can't seem to get my fats high and keep the others low.

Does anyone have any food suggestions that would help with this? (aside from eating butter by the pound....) I've heard of fat bombs, but it seems the recipes I'm finding still have carbs and protein in them, though in low amounts.

Thank you for your input and advice.

Regards,
Morrow

Replies

• vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Some kind of bechamel with cheese/veg/fish with filo pastry topping? with greens?

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Right, what Mike said.

OnTheMorrow, quite a few of us on here are very well-versed in Keto/IF/and many other approaches.

If you are unable to find foods that fit your very specific macros, you can Google for high fat foods, but short of just eating oils and butter, you'll always get some protein or carbs with that fat.

Relax your rigid rules around food and just concentrate on staying within calories first. That is all that is needed for weight loss, it isn't BetterFasterCooler to lose it with Keto or with IF or with Keto/IF. The way of eating that fits your life and schedule is the one that will work.

People like Keto because they feel more satisfied in general with higher fat and protein. Not all people, but some do. It isn't magic, neither is IF. If you want to try Keto for a while, and you go over in protein a little, it's not going to be a disaster and as long as you stay within calories, you'll still lose weight.

CaloriesCaloriesCalories for weight loss. That's it.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating one meal a day, you are going to have low insulin most of the day no matter what macros you eat because for the bulk of the day you aren't eating anything at all and insulin levels peak 60-90 min after eating, so not eating means no insulin boost (except once a day for a very limited time).

Keto for weight loss doesn't require the restriction of protein, just the restriction of carbs.

If you are planning to metabolize fat, then you don't need to consume excessive amounts of fat. Fat that you consume will be used as fuel before fat that you metabolize.

I recommend getting all the protein you can get in that meal.