Why am I so hungry?

Hello all.

I am 5'6", currently 305lbs. I am eating 1600 calories per day. Not much exercise at the moment.

For the past few days I have been really hungry. To the point of getting headaches. I don't understand why?

I drink at least 1-1.5l of water a day and I ONLY drink water. I am eating vegetables with nearly every meal, I am not snacking, I'm eating lots of protein too.

I'm mostly within my goal though sometimes I am a bit over.

I am sitting here starving hungry with a headache but I don't want to eat as I'm already over my calories for today :(

Only thing I can think of is that I am sleep deprived right now. Does that make this much of a difference?

Please could someone take a look at my diary and tell me what they think? Thanks!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Your diary is not open for viewing.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Sorry guys, will make it open now.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Okay, it's open now. Sorry about that!
  • InnerFatGirl
    too much water and not enough electrolytes/salt can cause headaches

That's useful to know. I think I am having enough salt/electrolytes but I'm not sure. Hopefully you guys can view my diary and let me know.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Not getting enough sleep always makes me hungrier and more prone to cravings.

Your diary is currently closed.

Yes, it definitely seems worse with not sleeping enough. I really need to sort that out.
  • NovusDies

This seems likely. I can't tell for sure but I think the OP's picture says that she lost nearly 7 pounds in a week and magnesium deficiency could also affect sleep.

OP. Go get yourself a sports drink. If you do not like artificial sweetener just get regular. I am assuming you have a 1000 calorie deficit so even if you go over a little more you will still lose some weight today.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2020
    Assuming your entries are accurate, your fiber looks consistently on the lowish side. Some people find that a higher fiber diet helps them feel fuller. It may be worth experimenting to see if you're in this group. Just don't increase too much at once because many people find this upsets their stomach or creates digestive problems.
  • NovusDies
    I know that many MFP entries are missing/incorrect sodium but it really looks like yours is quite low which surprises me because it looks like the stuff you are eating should be higher.

Yesterday you ate a small amount of salted pretzels I suggest enjoying a good size snack of them now. You are hungry anyway and it does no good to be miserable and sleepless. Tomorrow you will hopefully feel much better.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    I'd recommend you increase the vegetables and fruits you eat by quite a bit. They are full of water and fiber which are some of the most satiating components.
  • InnerFatGirl
    NovusDies wrote: »

This seems likely. I can't tell for sure but I think the OP's picture says that she lost nearly 7 pounds in a week and magnesium deficiency could also affect sleep.

OP. Go get yourself a sports drink. If you do not like artificial sweetener just get regular. I am assuming you have a 1000 calorie deficit so even if you go over a little more you will still lose some weight today.

Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure exactly how accurate my weight loss stats are as I started on a different scale and switched halfway but I started on the 12th Jan I think, weighed in at 313.1 on mechanical scales at the gym. I bought my own scale on the 20th and it said I was 309lbs. I've been weighing daily since then and the lowest weight was three days ago at 305lbs.

I'll try getting a sports drink and see if that makes me feel a little better. But can the same effect be achieved with a tablet? Or are there foods high in magnesium?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Assuming your entries are accurate, your fiber looks consistently on the lowish side. Some people find that a higher fiber diet helps them feel fuller. It may be worth experimenting to see if you're in this group. Just don't increase too much at once because many people find this upsets their stomach or creates digestive problems.

That's really helpful, thank you! I didn't realise my fibre was low. Do you have any quick suggestions of what I can add for fibre?
  • InnerFatGirl
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I know that many MFP entries are missing/incorrect sodium but it really looks like yours is quite low which surprises me because it looks like the stuff you are eating should be higher.

Yesterday you ate a small amount of salted pretzels I suggest enjoying a good size snack of them now. You are hungry anyway and it does no good to be miserable and sleepless. Tomorrow you will hopefully feel much better.

Perhaps it's because I've been mostly home cooking and I don't add salt to my food? I do add seasoning which has some salt.

No pretzels left unfortunately! But I had a small slice of homemade pizza, some cucumber sticks and a piece of ham. I feel a little bit better but still empty. I dunno if it's just my body crying out for a binge. It's so frustrating!
  • InnerFatGirl
    I'd recommend you increase the vegetables and fruits you eat by quite a bit. They are full of water and fiber which are some of the most satiating components.

Thank you. I should make them a bigger portion, you're right.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

1-1.5 liters isn't that much water though (it's 4-6 cups), especially at 300 pounds. People's water consumption needs vary, but that is definitely on the low side. Thirst can sometimes be confused with hunger, so if anything, the low level of intake may be a factor.

but if its a significant change from previous and also cut back on other drinks then its a perfect storm
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 282 Member
    If you want to increase your fibre with not much calories try some konjac noodles. They take on the taste of whatever you add to them. I hope this helps:)