Pain While Jogging/Running?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
The last week or so I've noticed that after doing the treadmill for about 30 minutes or so, I normally try and do 50-60, whenever I switch from walking to jogging or running, I get a pain on either side of my rib cage...which causes me to have to stop and go back to walking right after. :(

I always eat a snack before...either a granola bar or apple with PB, and drink water while working out.

Anyone else experience this? :(

Replies

• alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I cramp up if I eat too soon before I run.....I've also found that it happens if I drink too much water while running. Might try playing with snack schedules and see if it helps.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll put this as politely as possible.
    That is your wall, you need to run though it.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a side stitch?

http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html

Basically, it's caused because your breathing is too shallow and not controlled. Also make sure you are inhaling and exhaling on your right foot, as it causes less impact to your organs. :)

Edited because, after reading the article, I have been breathing wrong all these years, apparently! You should breathe on the left foot strike, not the right! Which is funny, because I never get side stitches!
  • mharbaug
    Options
    Look up side stitch on the web. Lot's of people get that but there are things you can do when it hits.

Great job on your weight loss.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    agreed with above...if I drink too much while running I get side cramps. Also I eat something easily digestable like a banana or yogurt before exercise.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's weird though because I've always done this the last few months and have never had this problem! :( Thanks to everyone, I'll look at the links! :)
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's weird though because I've always done this the last few months and have never had this problem! :( Thanks to everyone, I'll look at the links! :)
    I'm with you there. I used to chug water the whole way through my run and never had a problem. Then things changed and now I can't. No idea what would have caused the change though.