hello! Im new and want to make more friends!

Options
Hi,
Im Mariann. I havent used this app before and Im a little nervous to see how much i actually eat. yikes! and i thought i was eating healthy. I quit smoking in may and im trying to shake off the excess food i intook during withdrawl lol

Has any one got any tips for portion control that doesnt require a scale?

Replies

• kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to MFP. It is a great place. I love it on my computer and also the app on my phone. In my case they are very different (blackberry), so a lot of times I end up accessing the internet from my phone when I'm out and about.

Anyway, without a scale you just have to measure or count the old fashioned way.

Good for you for quiting smoking. Glad you are going to try to eat healthy too, but better a few extra pounds than that smoke going in your lungs.

You're going to love it here. Lots of support and information! MFP is a great tool. You'll be addicted in no time!

:flowerforyou:
  • egdanger1
    egdanger1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Congrats on quitting smoking. I have been on MFP for about 3 1/2 weeks. It has really helped me with my portion control. I have not weighed myself since I started. But I have lost inches (my clothing fits differently). I think this is a good tool to help with portion control. I don't have a scale either. I just estimate by compairing to things suggested online, like a deck of cards. Pleas feel free to add me as a friend.
  • carymi30
    Options
    I quit smoking 15 months ago and gained 17 lbs. Ive been on this site only a few days but I joined the gym and have faithfully been working out at least 5 or 6 days a week. Im down 8 lbs as of today so it is possible after quitting to get your life back.
  • MEGZ6991
    Options
    I'm new too! anyone have tips?
  • qwela
    qwela Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WELCOME !!!!!!!!! I FIRST WANT TO SAY CONGRADULATIONS ON YOUR SUCESS ON STOP SMOKING THAT WAS YOUR FIRST STEP TO A NEW BEGINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TRY TO EAT SOMETHINGS THAT PRE PORTIN ALREADY IN PACKAGES I DONT NO IF YOU SHOP AT ALDIES BUT THEY HAVE SOME AWSOME MEALS THAT ARE LOW IN CALORIES THEY ARE CALLED FIT AND ACTIVE
  • yellodaysee
    yellodaysee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined as well. So far I think it really helps to see what you're eating. I also like the idea of a support system. I live aone so I don't have anyone there to kind of cheer me on and keep me accountable so I'm happy to have found the site! Good luck!

exercise.png
  • mowrites
    mowrites Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I am excited to get started on the program. Its gonna be trial and error for me since im stumbling around in the software and (my kitchen) trying to get my program streamlined.

We are trying to integrate healthy foods in our house for meals and its a process. The cravings for junk really eat at a person. I try to portion control on those without restricting completely, but i have found that my portions must still be wrong. And I wonder if the packaging labels are throwing me off.

If it helps anyone else (who doesnt use a smart phone app of MFP ) I got a cute tiny notebook to write down my foods in so I dont forget what and how much I guess by cups and oz. , then at the end of the night i enter it all. Not gonna lie....it'd be nice to have the smartphone....lol cuz its too late to change the intake afterward lol! :happy: