Rheumatoid

Options
wawa32
wawa32 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2020 in Introduce Yourself
I’m 49 with rheumatoid arthritis and lifting weight and running is so painful. The weight has crept up on me over 20 years. It is hard to be active when you are in so much pain. Looking to loose 30-40 pounds and some advice from those who have found success they can share.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Start with what you CAN do.
    Weight loss is about calories.
    Good health can include exercise. Some things that are easy on joints are swimming, water aerobics, stretching, yoga, recumbent bike. Google exercise for arthritis. Keep an open mind.

Good luck!
  • lhoujak
    lhoujak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and my RA started in August. In September I went on a Gout Diet as I thought that was what I had because I was so swollen. After a Dr. visit showed it wasn't Gout I started the Mediterranean Diet. I was still in so much pain waiting on my Rheumatologist Appt. in November that I started a total elimination diet for 3 weeks. It did help and I started losing weight. I also bought a cheaper exercise bike as my feet were and still are hurting. I do 20 minutes on the bike Monday through Friday. I had a functional medicine Dr. run some tests to see if gluten and dairy were inflammatory for me and they are. I try to eat as healthy as possible, meat, fruits and vegetables, healthy oils and non-dairy drinks. I have been averaging 10lbs of weight loss a month. Cut out the processed flours, sugars and nitrates and you will see a big difference just from that. Calories in and out really are the key. Eating healthier, I don't find I am hungry all the time. I have a long way to go, but these small steps are helping. Wishing you all the best in your weight loss journey.
  • nicolesnutrition
    nicolesnutrition Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A few others mentioned some good tips, and perhaps ask you doctor about natural support supplements like turmeric.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    On MFP, weight loss is all about calorie deficit. Although exercise is encouraged as one of the tools, (and for other health reasons), it's not mandatory.

If you are in pain (not discomfort) lifting weights or running, don't lift weights or run. I would ask your medical professionals for recommendations on exercise, but I will bet that it will come down to yoga, walking, and swimming. Exercise should NOT be painful to do. If it is, stop.

My best friend is dealing with arthritis as well. And one of the hardest things is to accept your body's capabilities have changed. If you could run every day or lift weights twenty years ago that doesn't reflect on the present. But also...what your body's capability was twenty years ago isn't what it is now either. Don't compare yourself to a younger version of you.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,607 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and I also have rheumatoid arthritis. Like everyone said weight loss is all about a calorie deficit. The exercise I did 20 years ago is so different to what I am capable of now. I mostly walk for exercise and some days I get further than others. The pool is a great place. Not just for swimming but doing some water fitness. When I do weights, I lift very low weights. I let my body tell me what I am capable of doing. I have lost 56 pounds so far.
  • peggeez1
    peggeez1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and RA, I'd love to be accountable to one another!