Low fat low sugar granola?

Does this exist? I have been eating Lizi's Low Sugar Granola but the fat content is high and therefore so are the calories. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• carolynne0007
    carolynne0007 Posts: 2 Member
    40gm rolled oats (fine) 25gm mixed seeds and berries (I use Linwoods from Costco) 1 tbs of maple syrup or honey. Mix well together put on to a cold baking tray, put in oven and heat to 180, cook for 12-15 mins, keep an eye on it. Let cool and then put in a container. It's delicious on Greek 0 fat yoghurt.
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Curious to see if anyone has found one.

A friend of mine makes her own granola in the oven with oats and other ingredients on cookie sheets - not sure if that is helpful to you?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I think if it did exist it would be pretty low taste. Carbs (i.e. sugar) is lower calorie than Fat, so perhaps you could make your own and control the amount of honey/maple syrup that is in it. Unless you have a medical reason to reduce sugar intake in which case there are sweetener syrups you can use.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited January 2020
    Keliz1173 wrote: »
    Curious to see if anyone has found one.

A friend of mine makes her own granola in the oven with oats and other ingredients on cookie sheets - not sure if that is helpful to you?

My mom used to make awesome granola like that. I doubt it was low fat or low sugar though, despite her use of honey or maple syrup instead of sugar sugar, as it did have oil and nuts, as real granola does :lol:
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2020
    Does this exist? I have been eating Lizi's Low Sugar Granola but the fat content is high and therefore so are the calories. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Engine 2 granola is reasonably low in sugar and fat (around 7g each per serving). It tastes low in sugar and fat, too (I don't think it tastes bad, but it clearly tastes more ... plain).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited January 2020
    Even if you make your own, it's still not a low calorie food. It's nuts and grains with no low cal filler before you even get to the sweeteners.

It could be lower calorie than the one she's eating though as it has added rapeseed oil. There's a couple of recipes around that use aquafaba /no oil substitute at all.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Even if you make your own, it's still not a low calorie food. It's nuts and grains with no low cal filler before you even get to the sweeteners.

It could be lower calorie than the one she's eating though as it has added rapeseed oil. There's a couple of recipes around that use aquafaba /no oil substitute at all.

Aquafaba - interesting!
    I think home made can for sure be calorie cut, but it's not going to be so crunchy and only going to get softer. I say just surrender and eat a little of the stuff that lights up your brain.
  • bex1086
    bex1086 Posts: 75 Member
    I have granola every morning almost, I just buy Jordan's Raisin and Almond one. Have between 35-40g topped with 80g fat free yoghurt, 100g of berries, 5g protein powder, 5g raisins, 5g pecan nuts, 5g banana chips with 10g of honey. Add in a cup of coffee and it's 400 calories or less. I usually eat it around 8am, walk 2 miles then gym for a couple of hours so by 12pm I'm starving but then I'll have lunch or a snack

I tweak my portion depending on the following meals. Yesterday I knew I would be needing a higher calorie snack so I had less granola and more fruit.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,820 Member
    edited February 2020
    I make my own granola: 374 calories for a cup. Granola being what it is, real food that's a mixture of nuts, grains, and sugars (my recipe uses dates and oranges), its going to be high in calories. No way around it. I usually have half a cup with some Greek yoghurt. Less of a calorie hit
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited February 2020
    I love granola and sometimes have it as a treat with greek yogurt. Depending on who makes it, it can be equivalent to oatmeal cookies or it can be lighter. But, if it is tasty, it won't be too light!

Instead, my standard breakfast is eat home-made (hot) oatmeal or (cold) muesli. This means starting with a 1/2C of quick oatmeal and adding nuts, fruit, milk, and yogurt to taste and plan. You can eat as-is or cook in the microwave. (In the winter, I often use frozen berries and cook in the microwave with tasty results!) The point is that it has no added sugar.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Some form of sugar including, honey or syrup, is what holds it together.