I don't think I'm doing this right

Options
ok, am i missing something, I'm eating way more than I did before dieting, granted different foods, but the app says I'm eating too few calories,, it totals between 700 - 1150, i just don't see how I can take in more each day.... Any ideas??

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You're eating less than 1200 as a guy? That's way too low... how did you determine that low number?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Eat chicken, beef, peanut butter, avocado, nuts, ect.

I have the same problem, I have a daily allowance of 3200 calories, its hard to eat healthy and enough.
  • kmumansky
    Options
    can you make your food diary public so we can see it?

I'm in awe at how many people eat so few calories and are full! I struggle on days I don't work out to not go over 1200, always go to bed pretty hungry! haha :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right if, at the end of the day, you feel like you've had ENOUGH but not TOO MUCH. Congrats!
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    definitely eating way too little...if it's hard for you to get your needed calories, u might want to add calorie dense foods that don't have much volume (oils, peanut butters, nuts, etc.)..
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    What number is supposed to be your goal? The easiest way I get extra cals is drinking protein shakes.. I do 1-3 a day and they keep me feeling full between meals. Protein is filling.... eat it first :) chicken, turkey etc...
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am eating tons of super healthy foods, having sworn off Diet Coke and that large bag of chips 5 times a week. However, I look at the numbers at the end of the day and have to have a snack most day just to get to 1200-1300. My allowance is 1470. Chunky peanut butter is usually the way I go. Don't go too low or your body will think you're starving and stop burning calories. Good luck. You'll find a rhythm soon.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you're still at 284 pounds, you need to be taking in at least 2600 calories a day, I'd say. Odds are that your BMR is somewhere near 2k. I have a really hard time believing, quite honestly, that you are only consuming 700 calories on any given day. It's quite possible you are simply miscalculating. Making your diary public will help us all give you some advice, but as others have said: Lean meats, protein powder, almonds, walnuts, peanut butter, avocado, and lots of low-glycemic fruits and veggies.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ok, am i missing something, I'm eating way more than I did before dieting, granted different foods, but the app says I'm eating too few calories,, it totals between 700 - 1150, i just don't see how I can take in more each day.... Any ideas??
    had the same problem, and joined MFP so i could log judiciously and increase my calories.
    i still fall short of eating all my exercise calories, but im doing way better!

add eggs, avocado, nuts, beans and other calorie dense foods to your daily regimen.
  • andison
    andison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You aren't consuming enough calories to burn fat, let alone feel good.
    Not a healthy way to lose weight.

I would think by your picture you should have a bmr of at least 1800.