Recovering from body image issues

Options
Hello all!
I am a ballet dancer, and due to that have struggled with body image issues and a poor relationship with food. I've done a lot of yo yo dieting, so I'm trying to do something more consistent.

Replies

• IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Its a real struggle after I lost 100 lbs I still struggled with how I saw myself. I couldnt not see myself fat. it mentally messed with me.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have severe body dysmorphia and I am not a ballet dancer. It sucks for sure. MFP is a great resource.
  • MovingRumsAss
    MovingRumsAss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65lbs. I have to take pics and take measurements every month so I can see I'm not that size anymore. Because I still feel and see that original size. It helps.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hey! I *used* to be a ballet dancer, "back in the day." If your insurance covers it, therapy can help you sort out A LOT of issues about the way you think of yourself much more efficiently than struggling through it all on your own, but doing it yourself isn't impossible. It just takes a while. :)

I've found the most success and comfort focusing on *training goals* and nutritional and health targets than on scale weight. I do a lot of weight lifting, so there are plenty of numbers around for me to focus on, and there are always improvements to be made.

Take some time to read up on athletic training, nutrition for athletes, calculating TDEE and the general principles of healthy weight loss. Be prepared to be patient and move slowly and in increments, as you would with any training from improving flexibility to increasing strength.

There is a lot to learn about building a body designed to perform any sport (including ballet) at peak performance, and I think that if you focus on learning what you need to know in order to support your training goals in a healthy way, you may be able to see yourself a little more accurately. YMMV, but these are some of the things that helped me.
  • IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65lbs. I have to take pics and take measurements every month so I can see I'm not that size anymore. Because I still feel and see that original size. It helps.

this...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Body dysmporphia is tough. Be kind to yourself and try to avoid comparison to others, focus on your own progress instead.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I still cringe when I see myself in the mirror at the gym or trying clothes on in a store, I already hate shopping, this makes it worse. I don't know how to stop that feeling either.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with weight most of my life. The yo-yo dieting and yo-yo exercising. I have lost 50 pounds and I have 40 more pounds to my goal weight. After I lost the first 20 or so pounds it took my children to help me go through my closet and throw out clothes that were too big. I had dressed to cover up my weight and this has been the most difficult issue to overcome. I'm losing weight, but how do you not think of yourself as overweight? How do you stop dressing as if you are overweight, but wear clothes that fit? I'm almost afraid to show my progress. It is so difficult to change your self body image. How do you change this feeling and mindset?